Old Sat, Aug-05-06, 20:36
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelen
Um, fluffybear, exactly what does 'eating too many beans' do for you?
Seriously, when people aren't taking in any animal proteins, there's no reason that they can't use bean, legume, wheat, corn and rice proteins, as long as they're not allergic to them.

As for 'you can't eat too many nuts or they will stall your weight loss,' weight loss stalls are a very individual thing, and eating nuts, seeds and their butters and flours--as much as 3 oz. per day of whole nuts or butters, and as much as a half-cup per day as meal--as protein sources has never affected me. YMMV, but it's a mistake to indicate that eating nuts will *always* stall weight loss.

Hmm. I don't think whole soy 'in any form' is 'rather yucky.' Again, perhaps YMMV.

The three main types of soy protein are whole foods (edamame), fermented foods (tofu, tempeh, natto--okay, most westerners really DO need to develop a taste for natto ) and processed foods (roasted soy flour, soymilk and yuba sheets are on the low end of processing; soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein or TVP are on the high end of processing.)

Surprising as it may sound, there are lots of people who consider well-prepared tofu, yuba, and tempeh quite tasty WITHOUT marinade...in fact, Mollie Katzen's browned tempeh recipe has been one of my favorites for decades. It's simply tempeh cubes dressed in a bit of extra virgin olive oil and salt and baked off or sauteed until browned on all sides. Tofu salad (mashed tofu, herbs, shredded veggies, a bit of mustard/mayo) and tofu-fruit creams have also been staples since the 70s...no 'marinade' required.

Actually I LIKE soy myself. I was just voicing what many people, esp. non-vegetarians say about soy. I eat it everyday (look on the South Beach Diet forum to see some of my eating plans). I eat tofu in salads and stir fry and I eat soy cheese and drink soy milk. In fact I just bought a Tofu cookbook so I can get some more ideas. I find edamame a little "hairy" or fuzzy LOL compared to other green beans or are you suppose to shell them before you eat them? From information I have read, kidney beans have more protein than soybeans however. Thank goodness the South Beach Diet allows all soy products as well as beans and nuts from the very beginning. I have been doing low carb for over a year but when I decided to become a vegetarian, I looked for a plan that would be acceptable and the South Beach diet is very vegetarian friendly.

ps: I didn't mean to say that simply eating nuts will stall weight loss, but for me, nuts are like potato chips, I can't stop with just a few and end up eating way too many.