#7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-05-06, 12:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 216/166/150 Female 60 inches
BF:45%/33.5%/28%
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
Well if you eat NO soy at all and you are vegen you are only left with legumes and nuts for protein. <snip> However, you know what eating too many beans does for you and you can't eat too many nuts or they will stall your weight loss.

Um, fluffybear, exactly what does 'eating too many beans' do for you?
Seriously, when people aren't taking in any animal proteins, there's no reason that they can't use bean, legume, wheat, corn and rice proteins, as long as they're not allergic to them.

As for 'you can't eat too many nuts or they will stall your weight loss,' weight loss stalls are a very individual thing, and eating nuts, seeds and their butters and flours--as much as 3 oz. per day of whole nuts or butters, and as much as a half-cup per day as meal--as protein sources has never affected me. YMMV, but it's a mistake to indicate that eating nuts will *always* stall weight loss.

Quote:
Soy itself is rather yucky in any form except maybe edamame (soybeans in the pod). However, magical things can be done with soy products. The 3 main types of soy products are tofu (soycurd), tempeh (dried soy sheets) and edamame (soybean pods).

Hmm. I don't think whole soy 'in any form' is 'rather yucky.' Again, perhaps YMMV.

The three main types of soy protein are whole foods (edamame), fermented foods (tofu, tempeh, natto--okay, most westerners really DO need to develop a taste for natto ) and processed foods (roasted soy flour, soymilk and yuba sheets are on the low end of processing; soy protein isolate and textured vegetable protein or TVP are on the high end of processing.)

Surprising as it may sound, there are lots of people who consider well-prepared tofu, yuba, and tempeh quite tasty WITHOUT marinade...in fact, Mollie Katzen's browned tempeh recipe has been one of my favorites for decades. It's simply tempeh cubes dressed in a bit of extra virgin olive oil and salt and baked off or sauteed until browned on all sides. Tofu salad (mashed tofu, herbs, shredded veggies, a bit of mustard/mayo) and tofu-fruit creams have also been staples since the 70s...no 'marinade' required.

Note to dhania...although you may have sensitivities to some of the more processed variations of soy, you may find that you can easily tolerate FERMENTED soy, such as tofu, tempeh and natto. One test--if you can eat soy sauce (another fermented soy food) without incident, then you may tolerate fermented soy foods more easily. Edamame, while cooked, is usually not fermented, so it may cause you the same issues as black soybeans or soy milk or soy protein isolate.

I love Madhur Jaffrey's "World Vegetarian"--it's one of my favorite cookbooks, and yes, many of the recipes fit nicely into low carb plans. However, it is no less important now than it was in the 70s for a vegetarian to make sure s/he's getting adequate protein--be sure you're getting at least 0.5g protein per pound of body weight, or 1g protein per pound of lean body mass, factored upwards for increased activity.

You might also try "The Moosewood Cookbook" and "The Enchanted Broccoli Forest" (try to find the original version, not the more fat-conscious revisions from the late 80s...) and "Mollie Katzen's Sunrise Cafe", Anna Thomas' "The Vegetarian Epicure" and Ruthanne Manners "Quick and Easy Vegetarian." If you check for the original 70s and early 80s editions on eBay, you find vegetarian cookbooks that modify easily for controlled carb eating. For more recent works, check out Karen Barnaby's website (Karen is one of this site's Kitchen Forums moderators) and her "Low Carb Gourmet" cookbook and the website include several very good vegetarian dishes.

BTW, I'd be one of those 'veteran vegetarians' who actually knows quite a bit about nutrition in general and vegetarian nutrition in particular. Thanks, fluffybear, for linking to one of my articles in your earlier post...