View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-02, 13:00

Plan: Schwarzbein - since 10/6/02
Stats: 265/242/165
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default VitaMix for making "whole" juices

I'm new to Schwarzbein and the LC WOE in general, so I'm trying very hard to follow all her rules to the letter (including avoiding sugar and artificial sweetners). Since Dr. S also seems to advocate against processed juices, I have so far been consuming only raw, whole juices which I make with my VitaMix (a sort of super powerful blender). Using the VitaMix, you can make juice using the entire fruit or vegetable, including skins and seeds. [There are a few exceptions, for fruit peels that are bitter in taste].

Basically, you just throw the whole fruits and veggies into the Vita Mix (cut into a few chunks if they are large), add a bit of water and/or ice, blend for a minute, and presto, delicious WHOLE juice. Or a smoothie or granita, depending on what all you added.

My favorite breakfast smoothie:

RASPBERRY YOGURT VEGGIE SMOOTHIE
1 cup goat milk yogurt (9g carb)
1/3 cup frozen raspberries (6g carb)
A few celery top and leaves
A few baby carrots
1/6 tsp of pure Stevia powder
1 T Flax Oil
A handful of ice cubes

The smoothie tastes like a raspberry milkshake - YUM! (you can't even taste the celery and carrots).

The VitaMix was a bit pricey, but since I probably wouldn't get enough fresh, raw vegetables without it, it seemed well worth the cost to me. Also, over time, I would imagine the money saved by not purchasing expensive bottled juices would pay for the VitaMix.

~Isolde