View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-15-06, 14:09

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

In less than a month, the meat & egg thread has had more than 93,000 views. Many people are now considering this latest diet simply because it's the new trend in the forum. The people who are now starting this diet have been influenced by the (unproven) information they've received here. I am afraid that the forum might be liable for any consequences. What if someone drops dead? I'm afraid that the forum might be seen by a jury as having endorsed the diet.

It is not the same as discussion about published diets. If someone goes on a diet promoted by a doctor, it is that doctor who is liable for ensuing disease and death.

To a lesser degree, I also lament the change in the tone of the forum. I started lurking here in 2001 and joined in 2002 (under a different name; when I rejoined after lapsing and regaining, there wasn't a single name rule). There used to be more concern for promoting optimal health. Now, it seems to me, there are more extremists who want to try any radical regime that might not kill you and are encouraging others to join them.

Human health and human lives are at stake here. Indiscriminate advice and unproven information are being thrown around here with little restraint. What if someone dies? Do we really want that on our consciences?