Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jonathan,

One section I have a particular problem with:
Quote:
...depriving your body's natural homes and offices of their normal power source {glucose} and forcing them to run on backup power can create problems where problems did not exist (some sources even suggest potential fatality).
What sources? What problems, exactly? I know you wanted to make this reader-friendly, but I think it sounds rather vague and could be improved with a more facts and sources. I happen to dislike analogies. Don't assume that the reader isn't intelligent enough to understand basic biology - provide the necessary facts.

Another point: "The time {ketosis} happens naturally is when you are starving." But it also happens naturally when you consume the same type of diet that humans ate for the majority of our *2,000,000* history - a protein and fat based diet. Grains were only consumed for the last 10,000 years. Our ancient ancestors were probably in ketosis much of the time, save for when they came across a fruit tree or managed to nab some honey without being stung by bees...

I do appreciate the fact that you didn't equate "low-carb" with "ketogenic." I have been low-carbing for quite a while, and I probably wouldn't have had measureable ketones once. But - it should be pointed out that no low carb program I've ever seen recommends being in ketosis for ever and ever, amen. It's a temporary state until you are ready to move to maintenance.

Ketosis doesn't mean that you're lacking glucose. Your body produces it - if it didn't, everyone on Atkins would be severly hypoglycemic and drop dead. Ketosis means you're burning your body fat - it doesn't mean you consume zero carbohydrates, or that there's any lack of glucose in your blood.