#67   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 06:13
Registered Member

Plan: My Version of M/E
Stats: 284/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:54%/49.5%/25%
Progress: 197%

Here is an article right on topic. I hope it isn't a repeat:

More Saturated Fat = Less Coronary Artery Disease!
Anthony Colpo, November 9, 2004.

The latest issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition has just published a study that gives saturated fat-defending heretics like yours truly something to smile about.

Researchers took 235 postmenopausal women with established coronary heart disease and performed coronary angiographies at the start of the study and after a mean follow-up of 3.1 years. A total of 2243 coronary segments were analyzed. The women were also divided into four categories according to their level of saturated fat intake. Saturated fats found to be protective After adjusting for multiple confounders, a higher saturated fat intake was associated with less narrowing of the arteries and less progression of coronary atherosclerosis during follow-up. Compared with a 0.22-mm narrowing in the lowest quartile of intake, there was a 0.10-mm narrowing in the second quartile, a 0.07-mm narrowing in the third quartile, and no narrowing in the fourth and highest quartile of saturated fat intake.

Carbohydrates found to be harmful

The protective association of saturated fat was more pronounced among women with lower monounsaturated fat and higher carbohydrate intakes. Carbohydrate intake was positively associated with atherosclerotic progression, particularly when the glycemic index was high. Polyunsaturates found to be harmful Polyunsaturated fat intake was positively associated with progression of atherosclerosis when replacing other fats, but monounsaturated and total fat intakes were not associated with progression.

The bottom line

The authors concluded: "In postmenopausal women with relatively low total fat intake, a greater saturated fat intake is associated with less progression of coronary atherosclerosis, whereas carbohydrate intake is associated with a greater progression". "Our findings are not consistent with the hypothesis…that saturated fat intake increases atherosclerotic progression in postmenopausal women but instead suggest that saturated fat intake may reduce such progression, especially when monounsaturated fat intake is low or carbohydrate intake is high. Our findings also suggest that carbohydrate intake may increase atherosclerotic progression, especially when refined carbohydrates replace saturated or monounsaturated fats".

Mere association or direct causation?

After examining the baseline data for the study subjects, it becomes apparent that the results can not be explained away by otherwise healthier lifestyles among those eating the most saturated fat; the high saturated fat group, in fact, had the greatest number of current smokers. Studies like this do not prove causation, but we do know that saturated fatty acids, because of their lack of vulnerable double bonds, are the least susceptible to free radical damage; polyunsaturates are the most vulnerable. We also know that increased carbohydrate consumption, especially of the refined variety, does a sterling job of raising blood sugar and insulin levels, which accelerates glycation, free radical activity, blood clot formation, and arterial smooth muscle cell proliferation. Furthermore, the contention that increased polyunsaturated fat and carbohydrate consumption can worsen cardiovascular disease is supported by evidence from clinical trials and by the observation that increasing heart disease incidence throughout the twentieth century has been accompanied by increasing polyunsaturate and refined carbohydrate consumption. Animal fat consumption, in contrast, has remained stable over the last 100 years. Anti-saturate stupidity

You know, I could take this opportunity to really dump on those who have been incessantly slandering saturated fat all these years, but I won't, because some of my more sensitive readers might write me and accuse me of unfairly impugning the personal and professional integrity of these upstanding citizens. I could point out how many of these anti-saturated fat commentators have built their status and careers on a completely erroneous bunch of nonsense, but again, I won't, because, hey, that wouldn't be nice. I could also point out how their unbridled vitriol against these naturally-occurring fats has probably cost hundreds of thousands, even millions, of lives, but, gee, that wouldn't be a politically correct thing to do. Nope, I won't mention any of these things (or did I do just that...oops!)…all I will say is that next time you hear some misguided fanatic wailing on about the evils of saturated fat, run--straight to the nearest tub of butter! Source: The Omnivore