View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-27-05, 13:20
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Please don't think I mean this in any bad way. I do appreciate you trying to help me and others overcome our struggles with your suggestions, I know your heart is in the right place. Just as you are trying to help others with your suggestions, my suggestion here is meant only in a positive way to help you.

For a long time now you've been self admittedly "obsessed" with vitamin D. If I am not mistaken you seem to think almost all metabolic problems (as well as many other problems) stem down to vitamin D deficiency.
If it's all vitamin D, and vitamin D is the cure, why are so few of us who supplement heavily with it making any objective improvements in their afflictions? The evidence is not there that D is so hugely important. Those here who supplement heavily with D are not losing lots of weight or feeling a lot better... from what I can tell most of the reports are like "I guess it helps" (easily explained as a placebo effect). When I supplemented fish oil and vitamins I imagined I felt a LOT better right away, but you know as time went on the effects went away. Now one can say it might be because I needed to increase my supplement consumption (or couple it with D )... or one could say the placebo effect wore off as psychologically I stopped feeling like I was doing this new thing that would make me feel a lot better.

Maybe D helps a little. But the evidence is not there that it is significant as you seem to think it is. I know your intentions are only the best but it is not right to make people think their problems stem down to a deficiency in D (and fixing it is as simple as buying a lot of expensive supplements). I also think you are doing yourself a personal disservice by holding D up as the answer; I think it is preventing you from seeing the real complexity of the issue(s) that cause your weight problem (EVERY life is complex, weight problem or no weight problem... it's never as simple as "This One Thing"). Hey I do it too, I want to believe with my heart and soul that it's ALL carbs, and I often say that to myself to make myself feel better... but I know that there's a lot of stuff besides carbs to consider.

Basically what I'm saying is while everyone can appreciate your intentions, I think it's rarely as simple as one thing, and that D isn't the answer. Now certain things are much more important than others (for example for me carbs are really important), but there needs to be some evidence before the claim can be made (for example, there is a LOT of evidence that people's food intake patterns & weight & general health is heavily affected by carbohydrate consumption). The evidence just isn't there to support your theory of D.