Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 22:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Hi guys,

Just giving you a consumer report on this breakfast cereal which is now appearing in our supermarkets. It's made in the US, which means it is more expensive than other cereals, but I think it's good to see a cereal right on the supermarket shelf that we can have.

It has 12g protein (per 40g serve), 5g carbs and 6g fibre. (Remember fibre has already been subtracted under our labelling laws.) The ingredients are soy grits, wheat gluten, oats, soy protein concentrate, corn starch, corn bran, rice flour, canola oil, flavour, sugar, salt, colour (150a) and Vitamin E.
I find it a little amusing to see there "ALL NATURAL!" statement, but that could be just me.

But the bottom line is that I quite enjoyed it. No strong soy taste, and it made a pleasant change. I won't be eating it every day, but I think it will make a quick and convenient brekkie now and then.

Roz
Hi Roz,

A couple of points. The US sites promoting this junk (oops!) say that a serving is 30g or 1/2 a cup. (not 40g)

Even suggesting you eat 1/2 a cup of anything, and call that breakfast! - takes me back to my starvation low fat days! I'd say I would be hungry again about 9.30 .... assuming I ate breakfast at 9.00!

Its full of soy, corn starch, rice flour and canola - yes I am still looking for something healthy - oh yes they throw in some no doubt cheap artificial vitamins ... because all that processing wouldn't have left much in the 'food' component!

IMHO they can ship this right back again along with the equally overpriced and 'healthy' Atkins bars ...

... but maybe that is just me!

On a similar subject, I was amused to see Weetbix is now "97% whole grain" - unless things have changed quite a bit since I used to eat this healthy stuff (no I don't recall eating a half cup serving!), I don't remember it looking like a bird seed bar. Perhaps they should run a competition to see if anyone can find one grain .....

Cheers,

Malcolm