Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 15:57
Registered Member

Plan: None, now
Stats: 222.5/241/140 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: -22%
Question A bunch of newbie questions

Hi!

This board is really phenomeal - I've been (mostly) doing PP for a week and a half ("mostly" because I've been eating about 50g carbs a day - can't quite seem to get myself under that just yet!) and I've had all these questions crop up, and I didn't know where to go with them. This forum seems perfect!

Ok, so here's my (longish) list of questions:

1. What's the real scoop on potassium? I asked my doctor (who was very excited that I'm doing a low-carb plan), and he said that too much potassium can actually be harmful. Same for chromium. PP suggests you supplement with both. What's the real scoop?

2. I've had some joint pain for years - wrists and knees mostly - and I've heard that going off of sugar and flour can make joints better. Has anyone seen this?

3. A couple of food carb-counting questions: what's up with cottage cheese?? I got the PP gram counter, and there it's listed as 6 grams per cup, while on the container (I use 1% cottage cheese) it says it's 6 grams per HALF cup. What's the scoop??

4. Anyone know how to count FRESH mozzarella? You know, those white balls you can get at Italian markets, that come in containers with water?

5. How about edamame beans? I've grown really fond of these, and on the package it says per half cup it's 5 grams carbs, 6 grams protein, and five grams fiber. So - does this mean this has an ECC of 0?!?! (That would be so cool - these are really great, in case you haven't tried them - they're soy, and very very tasty!)

6. What's the deal with eggs? I've read somewhere on the list that they actually have carbs; but in the PP gram counter, there isn't even a column for ECC - so I've been assuming they're 0...??

7. I'm thinking I really need to give it another push and really try to get my carbs in under 30 grams. This seems really really hard, though - anyone have any great advice on how I can push through? (I was thinking maybe planning out my meals in advance so I know I won't go over...)

8. Ok, one last questions - I also just started (yesterday) taking Meridia (the prescription weight-loss drug) - my doctor thought it would be a nice boost for me while I was doing low-carb. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Thank you all for the great support here!
Inna
Sponsored Links