#13   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 22:24
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 157/153/150 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hi Holly,

Your endo sure doesn't sound very supportive. Mine was also quite elderly and had no interest in all the natural healing stuff I was doing. I expected it, but still. However, when I finally went in with normal thyroid levels he became a believer and it was so gratifying! We had a long talk about the healing power of prayer, if you can believe it. Before that I just figured I knew best and I used him as a resource. It was more to tell my family that I was seeing an endo so they wouldn't worry about me trying to heal myself naturally.

I am sorry to hear that CAD isn't helping you lose weight. I think our thyroid hormones are just incredibly powerful and it's really really hard to diet when they're low. The problem is that dieting often lowers your metabolism, and thus makes your efforts backfire. I think this is what happened to me when I tried CAD this time - my heart palps were from lowering my metabolism (ie, thyroid levels), so I stopped dieting and just upped my food. I figured if I wasn't going to lose weight, I might as well eat more food and enjoy myself! At least I haven't gained any - I'm still averaging my weight and I'm still at 155 this week.

I've been reading about carb cyling on another forum here, and thinking about how it might work. The idea is that you eat pretty low carb for a few days to lose weight, but when your weight loss stalls that means you need to up your food intake to increase your metabolism. So then you switch to higher-carb days for a while. Then you go back to lower-carb days and you keep cycling through it. I was thinking that this might work on CAD if I tried adjusting my rm to be higher in carb or lower in carb as I needed. I'll let you guys know if I have any luck with it!

Take care! Don't give up hope. Remember, the most important thing is to be healthy, and hopefully weight loss can come naturally from having optimal thyroid levels. I think it's good that you're going to try a different endo. You need someone who will listen and help you feel good and get healthy. That's ridiculous about how he told you not to lift weights! He's clueless. Also, what's BC?

--Gretchen