Old Sun, Apr-24-05, 09:26
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmist
I agree with others -- please be careful. Due to overexercising/dieting, I didn't have my period for quite a long time (perhaps nearly 10 years?). I have severe osteoporosis now (I am 37). I feel like I have worn my body out in many ways. My biological age may be 37, but many days my body feel like that of a 70 year old. Please don't make the same mistakes I did.

This is my biggest fear
Might I ask what the nature of your diets were? Were they starvation bouts, and similar disordered behavior... or were they healthy?

I know that eating disordered people who lose their periods are at an extremely high risk of osteoporosis... but in the back of my mind I've always questioned if the osteoporosis was REALLY from the lack of hormones or if it was a consequence of being in a chronically nutritionally and mineral depleted state (which can be avoided/minimized greatly if one obtains the weight they like slowly and healthfully eating a lower energy diet high in protein, fats, and minerals). I know estrogen has a positive effect on building and maintaining bones but even if in estrogen deficit due to low weight, if one has adequate nutrition to maintain bones is osteoporosis really that likely?