#7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 09:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/206/185
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus
What if after the day of the 'carb-up' - lets say, you take 1000mg (1 gram) of 'Alpha Lipoic Acid' before doing cardio (for 60 min.) on an empty stomach. Theoretically speaking, wouldn't this be an effective approach to establish ketosis rather quickly?

I don't know. I take about 400mg of ALA per day and I have not noticed any difference. I think the thing that is happening here has to do with the MCT's (Medium Chain Triglycerides). From what I've read the body seems to break them down and use them like carbs.

One analogy I read was that when the metabolism slows down the fat burning slows down also like trying to burn wet logs on a small camp fire. The MCT's are like gas soaked logs and burn fast and hot also burning up the wet logs as well. (I know I probably screwed that up)

But anyway the coconut oil has the MCT's in it and seems to jump start the metabolism.

It may not be necessary to take it everyday either. It may be helpfull when the metabolism slows during cycling thermogenics to take some coconut oil to keep things fired up.