View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 07:17

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

graciepoo, it's pretty hard for women to bulk up naturally. Like you, I have rather large and well defined quads from years of running, cycling, skiiing and now weight lifting. I think not working them might be doing yourself a disservice, they are one of the largest muscles in the body - working them is a sure way to burn fat. I've been lifting rather heavy for over 6 months and all it has done is make them leaner and stronger (they haven't gotten any larger) - and now instead of being toned and attractive halfway up my leg, they go all the way up (which is of course, more a function of bf% than anything).

What you might want to do is alternate just how you work your muscles- lifting heavy and to failure will promote a certain type of muscle growth (fast twitch); working with lighter weights and more reps will promote a different type of growth (slow twitch) The two methods together will give you optimal growth and strength.

And while spot reducing doesnt work (drat!) when you do lose the body fat what will be evident is all the hard work you've done in the form of some pretty impressive muscle.

Nat