View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 18:11
Registered Member

Plan: paleo
Stats: 166/131/115
BF:
Progress: 69%

Have any of you tried using nuts for protein in place meats?

Today, on the Net, I read an article about using nuts for protein. I wish I'd saved the website, but didn't.

The article suggested that a person on a high-protein, high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet replace some of the bacon and eggs, high fat cheeses and meats, etc., with nuts.

It repeatedly referred to having daily 2-3 ounces of nuts. And it mentioned in particular: almonds, walnuts or macadamia nuts. So we're talking about very limited amounts.

I remember Dr. Bernstein limiting nuts according to the carbs in them. The amount per serving varied a great deal from one type of nut to another type. And Dr. Bernstein also pointed out that none of his patients could limit their intake of nuts. It isn't easy. So far I've been able to do so by counting out just 12 almonds into a separate container and keeping the rest put away. And when I eat the nuts, I eat them with other foods which adds satisfaction value. I like raw celery and almonds together.

The article had some good things to say about nuts in their effect upon the body, in regard to the heart, to blood pressure, to the cholesterol level, weight loss and that they reduce cancer risk.

But the article didn't indicate how much protein a person might get for a serving of nuts. I'd be interested in knowing that.