Registered Member

Plan: paleo etc.
Stats: 212/199/135
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Re: Hi Foodie!

Quote:
Originally posted by liv
I'm also a Sort-of-Paleo newbie, although I've been fiddling around with low carb for awhile ... so far this has really been the best bet and am feeling great. I'm doing more or less the Scarsdale diet which is modified Paleo (although the author doesn't know it ha!ha! ).
I wanted to ask you if you've been counting calories or carbs or anything, because with a lot of nuts and fruit and honey I guess it can all add up .... the Scarsdale is pretty low on calories but I feel good and aren't hungry almost ever.
I'm with you there on the chocolate!!!!
Welcome on board!
Gee, anyone notice how we've multiplied in the last few weeks? We should start to advertise on the main forum, cause I got here by mistake ...
Bye for now
Liv

Hi Liv! Thanks for the welcome! So great to find this place and meet everyone. Such a fascinating subject, not just the nutritional aspect but the whole thing in general.

Glad to hear you're doing so well! i'm great when i stick to the plan but wow i think i've got some kind of self-destruct mechanism or something. Such a sugar addict, it's ridiculous.

What's this about the Scarsdale diet? I've heard of that, but would like to know more. Wasn't Dr. Scarsdale murdered by his obsessed ex-girlfriend? She was probably in a really bad mood 'cause he wouldn't let her have any CHOCOLATE ... heehee ...

Re counting calories, carbs, etc. -- well, i was going to, but this week i've been experimenting in The Lab (that's what my husband calls our kitchen with some of those wonderful broth recipes from the westonaprice site and the soupsong site. So i have absolutely no idea how many calories or grams of anything, LOL I'm just sort of assuming the soup i make from the broth is providing me with the fats and carbs i need, and then i also eat some sea fish or other protein just to make sure (uh, soup is not an exact science If i'm still hungry in the evenings i munch on some nuts or fresh fruit.

There's a really interesting article at http://www.holdthetoast.com/archive/010509.html that explains very simply how to calculate the number of calories you need each day, along with how many grams of fat and protein.

Using their forumlae i estimate that i need about 1,620 calories per day, consisting of about 80 grams of protein and 130 grams of fat. For weight loss i'm trying to keep the carbs under 25 grams per day. But like i said, i've pretty much just had to say "Forget it" this week 'cause the soup is a great big steaming pot of variables

Nice to meet you and everyone else here! Fun discussions and looking forward to hanging out.

Foodie