View Single Post
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 06:03
Registered Member

Plan: vegetarian LC
Stats: 136/133/120 Female 5ft 6in
BF:27
Progress: 19%

I hate to put a dampener on things, but I have this book and I'm not overly impressed...

A lot of the recipes have more carbs than I like to eat at one meal (Lentils with Mushrooms - 72grams, White Bean Soup - 60grams, etc).

Many of the meals are not really recipes but just carb guides - like Oatmeal with Raspberries and Basic Vegetable Salad.

I've only tried a couple of the dishes as I didn't find them very inspiring, they're OK, but nothing better than I've come up with myself by just throwing low carb ingredients in a pan.

And maybe it's because I lack imagination, but I do like recipe books to have pictures of the dishes - this has none.

I'm a big fan of high-protein meat replacements like soya-mince, veggie burgers, quorn, and the like, but they don't really appear in the recipes here - I have seen one with veggie sausages tho and she does use a lot of tofu.

I'd have liked to have seen more breakfast ideas - something I've seen a lot of posts about on here. But they're mostly cereal or fruit based in this book - which is a bit high carb for me.

But at £6.99, it's not a bad price (altho, it is only a small, paperback book) and might have some ideas for you - I'd say it'd be best for a vegetarian just starting to learn about LC who is not going very low on the carbs.

Sorry, I really hate to be negative, but I'm afraid this book just does do it for me.