#5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-23-05, 15:31

Plan: BodyRX with lower carbs
Stats: 180/180/125 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayeyes
Good news for no insurance. 6 months of Armour cost me less than $40!

Goitrogens are substances that naturally depress your thyroid function. If you're eating things on the list I mentioned, you should try to stop eating them. Crucifers are a family of vegetables including broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts and cabbage. You can eat these if they are well cooked, but not raw.

Many doctors prescribe medications that only have T4 (snythroid, levy-whatsit) because our bodies are supposed to be able to convert T4 to T3, which is the active form of the hormone. Well, lots of us can't, so we need to be given the T3 directly. That means adding in Cytomel or using Armour, which has both naturally.

If it helps any, Armour is a natural product, not a man-made drug. Not having enough T4 or T3 in your body is like not having enough air - you just can't function. Forgetting to take your meds is like slowly depriving yourself of air. Knowing how I feel on Armour vs how I feel unmedicated, I make darn sure I take those meds!

If you have your numbers, post em, and we'll help. The ones we need to see are TSH, Free T3, and Free T4. If the tests ordered by your doc are too expensive, you can get the same ones privately for $75 at www.healthcheckusa.com.

IMHO, if your doc won't give you Armour - tell him/her it's about the cost if you have to - or add Cytomel, yes, switch docs. We can help you find another one.
Cheers,

Friday

I was so glad when you said I could still have brocolli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, and cauliflower as long as they are cooked well because, ironically, those are my four absolute favorites!

It's been a while since I've been tested, so I don't really have any up to date numbers; but finding this board, talking to you, and looking up Hashimoto (again) on the internet has sort of (re)ignited an urgent desire to get this in check. I would like to find a new doctor, however. He is a nice guy, but very orthidox, if you know what I mean. And his eyes twitch and he forgets what he was saying. Between the two of us, nothing gets accomplished!

And I'll check out that link and I look forward to hearing back from you! Right now, you are a godsend! (Okay.....being a little dramatic here! Is that a symptom? )

Anyway, if you could recommend a doctor that would be great! I live in Portland, Oregon and would go anywhere in the area for a good doc, epecially one who would prescribe Armour for a mere $40 for a six month supply---wow!)

In terms of soy; dumb question, but would that include soy sauce? And I do drink tea, take flax seed, and eat peanuts. Won't be doing that anymore. Thanks for the info. .......Why doesn't my doctor tell me this?

Again, many thanks!