Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 16:42
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Thank you for the information, Dina, but nowhere in the link you provided did it say that stress in and of itself can cause diabetes.
Quote:
A great deal of research has been conducted into the possible aetiology of diabetes. Most of the prevalent ideas can be classified under one of the following categories: heredity, endocrine imbalance, dietary indiscretion and obesity, sequelae of infection, and severe and continued psychic stress
Perhaps, you've overlooked this.
Quote:
So you assertion that stress was the only causative factor in your developing type 2 diabetes is not in line with that science currently knows about this disease. You seem very vested in believing that your dietary habits had nothing to do with it.
My dietary habits has nothing to do with this dx, I wasn't carb and sugar junky, I wasn't overweight as I stated before. I have to repeat myslef, that diabetes is a combination of factors, not just diet per se, unless one abuses processed carbs and and sugar, which was not in my case. Otherwise, I'd be not 40 pounds overweight like I was, but would be somewhere around 250-300 pounds in my 30s and dx mush earlier. Not all overweight ppl are diabetics, you should know it. When I was in my 20s, most women in their 40 and 50s were what we called pleasantly plump but were not diabetics. Most had abdomenal (insulin) roll, and still no diabetes. They just belonged to post-war generation, those who were children and were constatly hungry,and couldn't deal with food later in life. My mother was always "big" women, having abdomenal obesity and was on continuous "diabetes" watch, and yet, was totally fine untill very recently. But she was around 220 pounds, loved bread, never exercised on the excuse of being too busy, and did not know how to push the table away. Even now, her Hb1C ranges 5.8-6.2% (mostly times below 6%) and her FBG is usually around 110. But she definetely spikles much higher after a meal. She doesn't take any medications, just eats less carbs and no sweets at all. For her age it's perfectly OK to have some blood sugar fluctuations, it's better have it slightly high than low for seniors. She blames herself in eating way too many sweets and processed food since we came here, you know older folks sometimes aquire sweet tooth, even if they never had it before. So, in her case it's diet and age related. I was complete opposite, watched my weight, was very careful with carbs and fat. I was amazed that my FBG was in diabetic range (recently lowered) and so was my GP. Even at 194 I was size 12. I still don't blame my dietary habits in general, I blame myself of eating more meat and fat, was more than I've used to, eating much more calories than I could burn. I blame myslef for buying all this Weston Price propaganda of how meat and saturated fats are good for you, and how they all eat at least, 3000 calories a day. I also blame myself for not quitting smoking much earlier. But I do not blame eating fruit in my dx!
Quote:
In the case of your friend, true type 2 diabetes does not literally develop overnight or even in the space of a few weeks. What she may have experienced is something known as Secondary Diabetes which usually goes away when the underlying cause is discovered and treated: http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide...navbar=hw135192
She is in a medical field and her husband is very well respected doctor, so I doubt she had undiscovered and untreated diabetes before. Not sure if diabetes happened to her overnight, it was just fe month after the tragedy.
Quote:
High levels of cortisol (a stress hormone) can contribute to secondary diabetes, but unless the stress is continuous and never relieved, it usually reverses when cortisol levels return to normal after the stress.
Continious stress will raise cortisol level even in non-diabetic person. High cortisol will mess up your metabolism, increase appetite, contribute to weight gain and visceral fat acuumulation. These are perfect conditions for diabetes.
Quote:
Chronic elevated levels of stress hormones can indeed cause multiple health problems. I do hope you find a way to reduce your stress level in the near future.
I didn't say I'm still under a great deal of stress, I said it took few years of a very high level of stress combined with lack of sleep, changes in lifestyle, eating more protein/fat and being perimenopausal to develop this dx. I've found my way of dealing with stress via life style changes and exercise, so I don't need to light a cig. to get a relive. Also, established carrier with just 40 hours of work and ability to sleep 8-9 hours at night, make me feel pretty good now.

Quote:
I have no idea what point you were trying to make with this. Perhaps you can clarify?
I think that having a medical degree from nursing would in some way makes you a bit more aware of importance of proper diet, exercise and not smoking for a good health.
Quote:
Dina, I've already stated that I do exercise...30 minutes a day at a brisk walk, except on days like today where the wind chill was 10 below zero. I'm not sure why you seem to think that an hour would be better, but IMO trading chronic sleep deprivation for an extra 30 minutes of exercise isn't such a great tradeoff since it leads to.....chronic elevated levels of stress hormones.
I also meant some resistance training in addition to walking. I can imagine that weather in Michigan does not permit walking on a regular basis either, meaning cold winter and hot humid summer Again, it's up to you, you do watever you think it's right for you, diet and exercise wise. If exercise will leave you sleep deprived, then don't. Simple as this, I personally, do not care what ppl eat and hiow much they exercise, I state what I think is right for me, and don't force my opnion on anyone else.
You stated that I would have to reduce my carbs if my energy requirements would change, but eating 100 or less cabrs a day is already less than a minimum required for even a sedentary lifestyle. Dr.Shwarzbein emphazises that if one's very sedentary, the minimum carbs per meal should be 15g, and 7 g for a snack. If one is active, the amount per meal can be doubled, so it is for a snack. She also talks aobut danger of ketosis, and I agree with her. So, I don't understand why you are forcing me to accept that my diet/lifestyle is harmfull for my health? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, whether they been through nursing school or not. You believe that exercise is not a requirement, that fruit is an evil food, and I think that living in ketosis for the rest of my life is not much better alternative. Hopefully, we both will be well in 10 years, so we can find out what is better.
I'm done here, it's getting boring and all these arguments are getting us nowhere.
Cheers.
Dina