View Single Post
  #64   ^
Old Mon, Dec-20-04, 15:52

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Well, I can provide anoterh 100 of links but this one has a very good information on the diabetes. http://chinese-school.netfirms.com/...background.html
BTW, I have a female freind, not overweight, without a family history of the desease, she got a sudden onset of type 2 diabetes after a tragic death of her only son. Believe it or not. IMHO, constant emotional and physical stress can be a major risk factor of many deseases, from heart to diabetes and even, cancer.

Thank you for the information, Dina, but nowhere in the link you provided did it say that stress in and of itself can cause diabetes. In fact, this is what it did say:
Quote:
What has become apparent through years of research is that the diabetic condition is not simply a matter of one or two things having gone wrong. It is a complex condition with a multitude of metabolic imbalances.

So you assertion that stress was the only causative factor in your developing type 2 diabetes is not in line with that science currently knows about this disease. You seem very vested in believing that your dietary habits had nothing to do with it.
In the case of your friend, true type 2 diabetes does not literally develop overnight or even in the space of a few weeks. What she may have experienced is something known as Secondary Diabetes which usually goes away when the underlying cause is discovered and treated: http://my.webmd.com/hw/health_guide...navbar=hw135192
High levels of cortisol (a stress hormone) can contribute to secondary diabetes, but unless the stress is continuous and never relieved, it usually reverses when cortisol levels return to normal after the stress. If she truly has type 2, then there was more going on than you realize or are reporting. Chronic elevated levels of stress hormones can indeed cause multiple health problems. I do hope you find a way to reduce your stress level in the near future.

Quote:
Then it's really hard to understand your position, apprently, it's the showmaker without shoes situation.

I have no idea what point you were trying to make with this. Perhaps you can clarify?

Quote:
It's actually a proven fact that while we all benefit from exercise in our youth, it's a must once we turn 40, especially females. I sure hope that as you children get older and more independent, you will have some time to spare

Dina, I've already stated that I do exercise...30 minutes a day at a brisk walk, except on days like today where the wind chill was 10 below zero. I'm not sure why you seem to think that an hour would be better, but IMO trading chronic sleep deprivation for an extra 30 minutes of exercise isn't such a great tradeoff since it leads to.....chronic elevated levels of stress hormones.