#4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-07-02, 22:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Lightbulb

This is my adaptation of a recipe from an old Weight Watcher cookbook. Of course, I've used cream instead of skim milk .. and bacon.

* just as an aside ... I have the old WW program book from the late '70s. Back then the proportions of carbs/protein/fat look just like The Zone's 40-30-30. Approx. 1200 to 1400 cal per day. Interesting.
  • Creamy Cauliflower Soup with Bacon

½ large head cauliflower cut up, approx. 6 cups florets
    4 slices bacon
    2 large green onions (scallions)
    4 cups chicken stock or broth
    ¼ cup heavy cream
    salt & pepper to taste
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • In the soup pot, cook bacon until crisp; remove to a plate, crumble when cooled
  • In the bacon drippings, sauté the white parts of the green onions till soft, but not browned. Finely chop the green tops and set aside.
  • Add cauliflower and chicken broth, bring to boil, cover pot and reduce heat. Simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or till the cauliflower is soft.
  • Purée in food processor or with blender until smooth. Return the soup to the pan, heat just to boiling. Stir in cream and crumbled bacon. Season to taste. Serve with minced green onion tops for garnish.
  • 4 generous servings. per serving : 233 calories, 10g total carbs, 4.5g fiber (5.5g digestible carb), 7g protein, 20g fat

Doreen