#11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 09:33

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
Cool

Hello Faiz!

I noticed from another post that you are a student in London. How are you doing shopping-wise? Sometimes it is really hard to find specifics in London, even before LC!

From my own experience, Waitrose is good in their deli department (and also packaged, by the ready/bagged salad leaves) for things like roasted peppers, olives, marinated mushrooms, grilled eggplant and other easy snacks veggie-wise.
I also like their seafood salad, but wasn't sure if any of the ingredients (squid, mussels, octopus, prawns) were haram. I get mixed up with halal when it comes to shellfish. Just watch the carb counts and make sure none of the marinades contain sugar. They also have lots of different nuts (even macadamias!) and vegetarian or renet-free cheeses. Their web site to find a nearby location is www.waitrose.com --- you would think i worked for them! I would be happy to receive hard cash for this endorsement!!!

Sainsburys has much of the same, but nearer where I live, at least, price-comparison shopping showed that they were actually more expensive! Surprised me!

Marks and Spencers is almost useless to me, just because they have so many ready foods that have 'hidden' carbs. All the boxes and packaging make my head spin.

Safeways also has vegetarian cheese... I am not sure what else because it's been awhile.

Do you do much Middle Eastern cooking? Do I assume too much? I was going to say that baba ghanoush was 5g carbs, minus 2g fiber. I was also thinking that labenah might be good, but it doesn't seem right without pita! Do you have any hints for me?

Hope this helps!