Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 00:40
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%
Lightbulb

hi Shelley,

If you're like most FM'ers I know, the Elavil (amitriptyline) is really improving the quality of your sleep, and relieving some of the pain, especially morning stiffness. I took it for the first year or so, but had to stop because the side effects were too much, even at a low dose (dry mouth and eyes especially). I take doxepin now (chemically similar to tricyclics), also at a low dose, and it's very helpful too. Nothing's a cure though, is it?

All of the tricyclics as a group have weight gain as a side effect. Partly due to some fluid retention, and partly due to some disturbance in the way carbohydrates are metabolised and/or used by the cells. I'm not exactly sure how that works, but I know for many, there's incredible cravings for sweets that just weren't there before.

Low-carbing will help your fibromyalgia in several ways ... it'll help you lose weight, and that's good especially if you have the terrible fatigue too. The simple truth is, it takes less effort to move when you're closer to your ideal weight. Eating lots of protein, and having smaller more frequent meals ... or protein snacks between meals .. will help to relieve the hypoglycemia some FM'ers experience. I no longer feel like I have to nap - or faint - in the afternoon. Keeping the blood sugar and insulin swings under control will also lessen some of the "munchie" side effects caused by the elavil.

Hope this answers your questions

Doreen