View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 22:21

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 330/258.2/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Once a month cooking!

I went to Sam's Club, spent ~$200 and I made enough dinners and lunches for an entire month. I spent another $50 between Sam's and Trader Joe's and I've got staples for breakfasts, snacks, etc. 5 dozen eggs is less than $4 at my Sam's Club. I get 6 packs of cream cheese for about $7. I have beef stew, two roasts, two whole chickens, cheeseburger pie, chicken tenderloins, spaghetti sauce,fish fillets, hot dogs, bacon, quiche, lasagna, london broil, meatloaf, chili, a boneless turkey breast, I've got hard boiled eggs, egg salad, and deviled eggs in the fridge, and a LOT of sugar free cheesecake. I am sure I am forgetting stuff, but I think you get the jist. I am lucky since my DH and DD are now doing Somersizing with me - so I only shop one way. I buy ANYTHING I will use a lot of there. Cocoa powder, seasonings, milk, sour cream, CHEESE. I don't often buy meat or veggies at Sam's Club since often they don't look very good - but this last time I went it was BEAUTY. I think the biggest thing is REAL food. I make my own noodles, treats, etc. I also get Splenda in bulk. Gotta have that in the house.

I do own a deep freezer that we bought several years ago. That really helps. If you don't have a deep freezer, maybe you could just do one or two weeks at a time. Double up a few recipes and freeze the extra portions.

Bottom line - buying and cooking in bulk saves money and time. Plus we can still eat a full, on-plan meal even when Mom doesn't want to cook.

Melissa