View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-02-01, 20:06

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Default Medieval Recipes a la LowCarb

I can claim only partial success thus far with redacting *any* of the medieval recipes I've made, mainly because they rely heavily on breadcrumbs (fresh and/or dried) for thickening agents. It's pretty tough to get the same texture without them.

The only recipe I've fiddled with and gotten anything worth repeating is a potage from meat. It's basically a beef stew thickened with eggs and Parmesan cheese (I left out the breadcrumbs, added more eggs and cheese, and used stronger stock for the broth to--pardon the pun--beef up the taste). I have it somewhere in my MC cookbooks; I'll hunt it down and post it when I get a chance.

In defense of this beef stew: The last time I made it (which was the *first* time I tried the LC version), it was in quantity to serve 150 people. We had NONE left over at the end of lunch that day. I did post a small notice that it was "low-carb friendly," because I knew for a fact there were at least three other Atkins-folk at the event with me. That didn't seem to stop anyone *else* from trying it!

If I fiddle with any other period recipes and find that they're still edible, I'll post them on the Recipe forum, clearly marked as such. Not everyone's into the tastes of Renaissance Europe.