View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-18-04, 08:20

Plan: Moderate carbs
Stats: 155/151/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 40%

As a lot of people here do I go to the grocery store at 7:30am (they open at 7) to see what meats they have marked down and base my menus on whatever I happen to pick up. Latest great deals were Jimmy Dean Mild Sausage 1# roll for .99 (bought all they had left, 6 rolls right in the freezer) and 1# packages of Healthy Choice Cooked Ham (yes I know there's a few carbs and filler stuff in there but price is right and we do "moderate carb" approach) for .99 per package so bought all those, 8 total.

I guess I am lucky in the fact my ex-husband works for Peppridge Farm and he brings me unlimited supplies of thier Carb Control Bread (White, Wheat and 7 Grain, 5 net carbs per slice) which I have occasionally as toast for breakfast and use for kids lunches).

I also use a lot of coupons for cheese, some dairy stuff ( sour cream, cream cheese).

I shop at at least 5 different stores weekly. It's not a problem for me. The farm market and bulk store on on my way and home from work so I hit those a couple times a week. Farm market tends to have REALLY good deals on fresh veggies. Last week large heads of cauliflower were .79 each so I bought 10, came home chopped em all up, blanched and froze them.

I also tend to use a lot of eggs. I buy 3 dozen a week usually as 2-18ct. packages unless dozens are on sale.

I always check the reduced veggie trays in the produce section and see what I can use in the next couple days.

I can get cream cheese (8oz) at Save-A-Lot for .89 all the time ( My 2 boys love mock danishes for breakfast.) and cheap bacon (about 1.69 for 1#) which dosent cook well as slices per se but works well crumbled in quiche or cassoroles.

Also scan the drugstore sale ads. I have recently gotten Designer Whey Protein canisters Buy1 get 1 Free so I got 6 (3 vanilla, 3 chocolate) for about $6.99 a can and they are usually $15 a can. I put 1 scoop of this in sons' mock danishes in the morning and make occasional shakes or muffins from it).

I average I spend about $40 a week feeding myself and my 2 boys (ages 13 and 11) but we only eat out maybe once every 2 weeks and it is always in a sit down place (NOT McDonald's or fast food) so LC choices are better and my boyfriend picks up the tab (bless his heart).

Hope some of this helps.

P.S. I belong to a coupon swapping board and can usually get coupons I can use for very little trade, such as 7 coupons traded for a postage stamp..that kind of thing. Works well