View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 10:46
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

What has worked for me is viewing and approaching weight loss like any other medical condition. My husband had cancer four years ago. He went through some miserable treatments and there were days where the last thing he felt like doing was subjecting his body to more. However, he never said, "I can't do this -- I'm not going today," because he knew that he was battling for his life and he wanted to live. Once I realized that what I had was a medical condition (hyperinsulinemia), I took the same approach. I am low carbing because I want to live and I honestly think it is a matter of life and death for me (and many of us in the TDC). Anytime I think about eating starch or sugar, I tell myself that I have a medical condition with my blood sugar and eating off plan is simply unnacceptable. If I had some other medical condition, I would follow the best medical advice I could find. Hyperinsulinemia is no different and eating lowcarb is a hell of a lot easier and more pleasant than going through cancer treatments or having open heart surgery.

FYI, if you are having problems understanding why you cannot stick to lowcarb, I strongly recommend Dr. Phil's book. You don't need to follow his eating plan (and I wouldn't), but he has some good insights into psychological issues that prevent people from losing weight.