View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:20

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

This is a great idea Zule. I know it would have been really, really helpful to me in the beginning and will probably find it to be so now as well. The journey never ends and there is always something new to learn or a new perspective to think about.

I think I'll tackle one question at a time as I have time so....

#1. I didn't know what carb cravings were until I read CAD/CALP and had them defined for me with the test. I always felt I was battling myself inside. One minute I was in control of my eating and the next I was like a crazy person stuffing food in when no one was looking and then feeling the guilt and shame. When Heller's described the "addiction" I felt like someone else out there knew what I was feeling and understood and then they offered hope for a normal life.

I never didn't feel hungry. I could eat a huge meal and always have room for "a little something" in a very short time. I often felt embarrased that I always had a clean plate at a luncheon or gathering of other women. I just never really felt full....ever. I could follow diets for long periods of time, but eventually.....the three day binges came and after enough of them the three days turned into weeks before I could regain control and move on. Of course the extra weight came too that I had to lose AGAIN.

I couldn't identify this behaviour as carb addiction just glutinous, stupid behaviour that I should have been able to control. I ate secretly all the time. I was ashamed all the time. The weight and the process of losing it have dominated my life since I was 10 when my mom put me on my first liquid diet. I have felt hopeless and ruled by the unhappiness I have felt about being fat all my life unless I was literally starving myself as I did often through high school.

Carb cravings feel like you have no control, hope of control or a life beyond food.

To be continued with #2....

Deb