View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 13:59

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I also saw that program...very sad. American Indians, Hispanics and African Americans are not but a couple of centuries from living in a feast/famine situation. Most European descendents have had access to food year round...not much famine in the last few centuries and not much effort to buy the food they ate.

The ethnic groups that are so challenged with Diabetes right now have inherited the "thrifty" gene that made it possible for them to survive in famine and also have the energy to gather and hunt food. Now that groups (such as the Pimas) simply go to the grocery store and buy food; they do not have famine or energy exertion to procure food. So the "thrifty" gene still is hard at it...storing fat.

I admire your intentions about Dr Bernsteins book, but I think it will take a lot more than that to educate those people on diet and lifestyle. They seem very resigned to the fact that they will get Diabetes soonor or later....and to be honest, they probably will. It takes a lot of encouragement, education and $ to begin a LC campaign. We really don't have LC in the mainstream right now in our society. Most likely, the Pima's doctors would tell them how horrible Dr B's diet is.

I admire your compassion. Wish it would be that easy.