View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 13:57

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 145/117/127 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 156%

Hi Bess ! You are certainly welcome for what little advice I gave you! It is very daunting trying to adjust cooking for one to this WOE, especially if you don't have a background in cooking. But don't lose hope - you'll be a whiz in no time .

In case you didn't find the recipe thread on this forum, it is here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Also, the Protein Power recipe thread is here:
http://bbs.eatprotein.com/cgi-bin/u...i?ubb=forum;f=4

There is a "search" function on both web sites so if you have something particular in mind - like hamburger - you can just put that in and it will pull up all recipes that mention hamburger. I'm not computer savvy by any means, but if you need help with these sites, or searching, or finding your way around, just let me know and I'll see if I can help you .

Let's see if I can come up with a couple more tips for you:
- When you try a recipe, make note of any changes you have done to that recipe (like substituted a spice you like for one that you don't like). That way, the next time you make it, you'll know what you did.
- When you first try a recipe and taste it, make any notes on the recipe of things you'd like to change or try the next time. For example, if a recipe calls for cheddar cheese but isn't quite "right" when you try it - try swiss or another cheese the next time. Obviously, if you like it the first time around, don't change anything .
- As with any recipe, make sure you read all the steps involved and ingredients needed before making. I find the less steps involved, the more inclined I am to try it.
- There are so many recipes available - one mistake I have made is trying a recipe and not caring for it - then forgetting to get rid of that recipe. Then I end up making it again .
- Start with simple/basic things and work your way up from there. Experimenting with meat and veggies is a lot less risky, for example, than baking.
- You'll find for pretty much any recipe on this forum or others, there will be variations others did to that recipe. My suggestion is to make a recipe as close to it's original form as you can the first time. Once you know what it should taste like, it's texture should be, and how easy it was to make, you can then start to experiment and change it. If you do the note-taking suggested above, this will be easy.
- Almost all recipes (baked goods being the biggest exception) can be made in smaller portions. Just divide everything out equally. But keep in mind, if you're pretty sure you'll like it, go ahead and make the whole thing and freeze portions for later use.
- Stock your kitchen with basics (veggies like cauliflower and cabbage, sour cream, cream cheese, cheese, heavy cream) so you have them on hand. Obviously veggies don't last forever, but usually the dairy products have a long shelf life.
- And finally, never be afraid to try! At worst, you'll end up eating something you won't want to try again - and at best, you'll have a new recipe to add to your collection that you'll look forward to making again.

Hopefully by now you've found something good to do with your hamburger! If not, a couple simple suggestions to change it from the same old thing:
=Add some taco seasoning and serve it with sour cream &/or cheddar cheese
=Add some bacon and optional mushrooms - top with swiss cheese
=Fry it up with some onion and tomato plus spices of your choice and eat that way or add a little beef broth and you'll have a beanless chili

Best of luck to ya! Keep in touch and let me know how it's going!