View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-03, 16:27

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

Yes I am doing Atkins and I think it is wonderful for compulsive overeaters. Although we do subscribe in OA to the belief that our overeating is a "disease" with mental/emotional/spiritual aspects, we also do say there is a physical aspect as well. Read the atkins book and he addresses that there is a biological reason for why we are overeating and it is actually not due to a character defect or irresponsibility. Insulin resistance is real and has been grossly misunderstood. We have often even come to believe that our overeating is a mental disorder or a cause of our refusing to take responsibility for our own lives. It is very much a physical problem that can be fixed if we follow the program that regulates our blood sugar level and stay away from foods that trigger the addiction cycle.

After being on Atkins I now am free of those intense cravings I have had my whole life. I cannot believe that there was so much going on biologically to make this an issue for me. I was paying so much attention to the spiritual/emotional aspects that I was not addressing the physical aspects because I truly believed that I was overeating for mental reasons, not physical reasons.

I still go to OA because there are mental aspects to this disease. I highly recommend you read the Atkins book thoroughly. Skip for now the "diet" part that tells you what to eat and read the philosophy of it instead. He addresses compulsive overeating.