Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   U.K. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Atkins (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=284487)

xnikx Sun, Feb-05-06 09:56

Atkins

im researchin it and tryin to learn wat not to eat and wat TO eat, but its all so confusin, some places say dont eat cottage cheese others say do, others say avoid soup and some do, i have no idea wats right is it even worth all this hassle, why cant there be a free site with a list of it all so i know :(

Bobi-p Sun, Feb-05-06 10:09

Please see my previous post, this should help you.

xnikx Sun, Feb-05-06 10:13

sorry cant see any posts by u sept this one???

Rosebud Sun, Feb-05-06 16:06

Hi Nicola,

Your best bet is to spend a few pounds on your own copy of Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution. It is well worth it so you will know not just what you can and can't eat, but it also gives a good explanation of the diet.

You can find some information here, but unfortunately the "new" Atkins organization seems to be more interested in pushing their products than anything else. (JMHO)

I wish you much success! :)

Rosebud:rose:

xnikx Mon, Feb-06-06 02:30

yeah iv checked that site out already

perhaps south beach is easier?

Tonymoo Mon, Feb-06-06 05:40

Try the Atkins thread on this forum - you'll find it really helpful.

The Atkins Diet book should answer your questions.

You should avoid cottage cheese on induction. Soup is fine as long as its low-carb (there are loads you can make/buy).

Once you get to grips with it, you'll find it's really no hassle and it's definitely worth it in terms of results.

Hope this helps and good luck

Tony

greannmhar Mon, Feb-06-06 07:45

Your local library will have many books on Atkins (and other diets, including South Beach) - you can even search their database and reserve the books online, all for free.
Unfortunately, there's no way of identifying the right diet/WOE for you and the appropriate foods to fit without doing some research/reading - it's worth the effort, though.
As the saying goes 'If you fail to plan, you plan to fail'! Good luck.
Babs

foxgluvs Mon, Feb-06-06 08:00

Hi Nix :)

As you know through our convos, I have lost 82lbs ALL on LC, before that I would lose a little and then stack it back on and more once I got bored with the plan. Low Carb is easy to do once you get past the initial 2 weeks induction, then you're use to doing it more and you kind of just lip into it - you'll be so much happier if you do go on it because you'll be losing weight and there's no more motivation than seeing your clothes getting looser and your scales going down.

Good luck!

xnikx Tue, Feb-07-06 02:11

my aunt in usa said she has a south beach book she cud send me if she can find it

foxgluvs Tue, Feb-07-06 03:02

Well get her to send it to you! If I had my copy I'd send you mine - it has the various measurement changes etc, but you could work with the US version anyway.

xnikx Wed, Feb-08-06 02:50

i have this book

http://www.ottakars.co.uk/Internet/...ISBN=0755311302

and looked at the link for forum u gave me printed out the food list, some is confusin tho says dont eat beef or avoid it and then says eat steak :-s

all them foods i dont like so will b livin on onion and eggs and bacon, steak and chicken, cant really make a meal of that, does that mean my diner can consits of as many chicken breasts that it will take to fill me up?
:(

Tonymoo Wed, Feb-08-06 05:32

Hi Nicola

I follow a low-carb way of eating. I started with Atkins in 2003 and have stuck to these principles and this works for me. I think the key point I would make is to be clear about what plan you are following, research it and stick to it.

I don't know South Beach Diet, but I would imagine you can have loads of veggies. A ow-carb (or even a high-protein) plan is not just about eating meat.

Good luck

I found Atkins confusing when I listened to 'advice' from other people. Once you read the book and get used to the principles, you'll b efine.

xnikx Wed, Feb-08-06 12:27

iv read the book and spooke to lots of people but its stil so confusin it says one thing and then another and u duno wich to get in shops wen it cums to food

u watch in 2 weeks time nothing with have come off cz i wud hav dun it rong or iv already in my own way cut out them foods cz the ones it says to not eat iv already cut out a year ago by myself

i mite be on the rong one then cause on sbd the only one i eat out of veg is brocolli, looks like il b goin hungry :(

greannmhar Wed, Feb-08-06 20:26

If you like so few of the foods on this plan (or any other that's LC), you may have to look at some other WoE for your own sake and healh. Maybe low carb is not for you and you might do better with something else, which tells you exactly what to eat and gives you the regular support of weekly meetings, for example.
Low carbing involves a lot of personal research/ability to change and can be a lonely old furrow to plough, especially if you struggle with, or dislike, the big pluses of eating meat, chicken, fish, eggs and veg.
Babs

Whammy Wed, Feb-08-06 22:48

OFCS

Oops, moitor is blinking. . . will come back