Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Help me break this stall, please (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=112487)

SiriusT Mon, Jun-09-03 10:47

Help me break this stall, please

I am so discouraged. I have lost and gained the same 2 pounds for a month. Up 2 pounds again this morning. What is up with this plateau???

I've been cheat-free, keeping carbs under 20, exercising a lot (run 4-5 miles a day and do BFL) and drinking my water. Yet the scale refuses to move. i have cut out wine and added more veggies.

This is the same weight I stalled at with Weight Watchers. Stayed at that weight for 4 months! :eek:

I am constantly tired and cranky. I'm ready for bed at 9 p.m. (usually a night owl) but I'm not losing weight!!

Anyone with any suggestions?

:cry: Amy

jaykay Mon, Jun-09-03 11:22

My advice for breaking a stall is to change things.
Change the type of exercise you're doing - your body may have adapted to your current regime and needs a challenge. Maybe spend less time exercising but up the intensity - apparently this can work.
Change the number of carbs - sometimes upping carbs for a while breaks a stall - odd I know!
Have you tried cutting out the known stallers - dairy, bacon etc. etc. There's a list of them in Tips and Stalls somewhere.

Its so discouraging, but hang in there and keep tweaking - you will find the answer I know!

Take care, Jay :wave:

Iowagirl Mon, Jun-09-03 12:28

A month! My how time flies. I'm sure this feels like an eternity, but generally a stall is looked upon as 6 (yes, 6) months with no weight loss/inches lost.

Jaykay offers good advice but don't get too hung up on the stall idea - sounds like you're doing fine.

Shellyf34 Mon, Jun-09-03 12:44

6 weeks with no weight loss, not six months.

Yes, sometimes upping the carbs can help break a stall. I found if I hadn't lost for a few weeks that going out and eating a regular dinner (sans any sugary desserts) shocked my system and gave me a jump start. Usally the dinner involved fajitas and and a couple of corn tortillas or a couple chicken enchiladas...Seemed to do the trick.

EvenLower Mon, Jun-09-03 12:44

I'd suggest the upping the carbs thing...it really seems to work
on ly do it for a couple days though

acohn Mon, Jun-09-03 13:59

I know that it's time to do a "refeed" when my anxiety level gets too high. I up my healthy fats (mainly in the form of coconut products) and my protein for 2-4 days, then cut back to normal. I've done this a couple of times now, and it's both re-started my weight loss and reduced my anxiety.

Groggy60 Mon, Jun-09-03 14:11

I am starting to wonder if acohn owns shares in a coconut farm somewhere :roll:

If you refeed, it is a good idea to eat very little fat. The goal being to up you Leptin level. Look back at older discussions in the Stalls thread if you are interested.

But I think what is being suggested is to simply eat a few more carbs, like say 50g of carbs for a few days, to shake things up. Have a some fruit, that is your maintenance future.

acohn Mon, Jun-09-03 15:23

Groggy60,

Actually, I wish for a share in a coconut processing operation. The growers never get rich; it's always the middlemen.

But seriously, why don't leptin and ghrellin (the appetite-governing hormone) respond to increased fat intake, as well as increased carb intake?