Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   any other salad dressing ideas? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=175089)

girliegrly Fri, Mar-26-04 11:57

any other salad dressing ideas?

:help: hi everyone,

okay, so i've been having my salad with my OWN dressing. as gross :Puke: as it may sound, i dress everything with mayonnaise, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, rosemary, salt & pepper.

it's probably because i'm new to atkins and i am paranoid about bottled dressings and what might be in them--not that mayo is the best for me or anything, but the method of my madness is that i figure every bottled dressing starts with a base of mayo anyway, and i'm just adding my own stuff instead their stuff. so i've learned to really like this, even though before, i've never really been into creamy dressings :clap: .

and let me note, i've never eaten so much chicken and tuna salad in my life...it seems like everyday :D :D .

i used to have a salad every night with my dinner (still do) but i miss sooo much my balsalmic vinegar. that is the basic dressing for alll of our salads. it's home.

so, my question is, is there any salad dressing that you love that ISN'T creamy? anything like balsamic but without the sugars? i've had red wine vinegar, and although that's really good for a cucumber onion salad, it's definitely not the same.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance...

blue skies,

Kimmy :p

Leenie Fri, Mar-26-04 12:03

Paul Newmans Family Recipe Italian....its pretty darn good.

(I love creamy ones better ;) )

girliegrly Fri, Mar-26-04 12:07

thanks leenie...i'll give that a try. i've never been that big on "italian" dressing...but it's definitely worth a shot...

K :p

Leenie Fri, Mar-26-04 12:14

I'm not to whoopie on italian dressing either and I was quite surprised. How about adding a little grated cheese on your salad (and what ever dressing you use) just to give it a kick.

Dewi Fri, Mar-26-04 13:06

I use Ken's Steakhouse Ceasar just make sure you shake it well becuase it seperates when it sits long. I dont have a bottle in front of to tell you what the carbs are, sorry bout that.

teresamay Fri, Mar-26-04 13:09

I make my own with olive oil, white vinegar and a touch of soy sauce or dijon mustard - yummy and has a kick!

tashinpa Fri, Mar-26-04 13:20

two suggestions:

walnut oil
balsamic vinegar
tsp dijon mustard
tarragon (dried)
garlic (tons... if ya like it)
salt & pepper

easy and good. you can also use peanut oil, it has a less subtle flavor.

and my alltime fave, though creamy:

canola oil
juice of half lemon
salt & pepper
garlic (you guessed it: tons)
dill & parsley
sour cream

yumbowski

LadyBelle Fri, Mar-26-04 13:48

I just use oils. You can get different oils ofr different tastes.

Those new carb options have an italian and french dressing. Make sure to read the lables though. Walden farms has a calorie free carb free french (i think it may have soemthing like 5 hidden calories) but so far I have been unimpressed by thier products.

bevbme Fri, Mar-26-04 14:16

Plain old crumbled blu cheese,or mix cheese with a little cream and let set to stretch flavor. Feta works here too.

Gucomole is great on salads.
BTW I think your recipe has just re-invented ranch dressing :)

lynneuk Fri, Mar-26-04 14:25

Marie's Creamy Italian Garlic is fabulous!
1g carbs in 2 tbspoons and no sugar.
I love it.

DianaO Fri, Mar-26-04 14:32

I use Kraft 3 cheese ranch
kraft 3 cheese bleu cheese
Low carb, SF, no Calorie Dressing.

Just watch for Partially Hydrogenated oils
Make sure the Sugar content is low

RCFletcher Fri, Mar-26-04 15:02

What about a classical French dressing:

1 spoon vinegar
1 spoon lemon juice
2 spoons virgin olive oil
juice from a crushed glove of garlic
1 spoon splena
about 2 spoons water
Mix all together and there you are.

Nancy LC Fri, Mar-26-04 15:04

I love Annie's Naturals line of dressings. In particular: Shitake Sesame (major yum) and Tuscany Italian.

This last time I bought a package of good seasonings and made my own with red wine vinegar and 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 water and I used some xanthum gum to thicken it, since I went light on on the oil. I am watching calories a bit. Anyway, it actually is delicious! Although I used a little too much gum so it is VERY thick!

Paris Fri, Mar-26-04 15:14

I like to make my own, but I admit that I am in love with T. Marzetti's Buttermilk Bacon Ranch. 2 tbsp = 1 carb; no sugar.

sunspine17 Fri, Mar-26-04 15:33

The BEST dressing I have had in my life is (drum roll please . . . ) Marie's Premium Super Blue Cheese. I eat it everyday on salads and on burgers and chicken -- YUM!!!

The Premium 3 cheese Italian is really good too.