Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Bread & Baked Goods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   I made real pie crust for pumpkin pie! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=142475)

ykmaggie Sun, Oct-12-03 13:52

I made real pie crust for pumpkin pie!

Hi again

I just made pumpkin chiffon pie with a real pie crust.

I used one cup of zero carbwise bake mix, 1/2 cup of Crisco, 1/2 cup oat flour, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

I tried to roll it and it just fell apart, so I threw it in the pie plate and pressed it into shape.

I just tried a nibble, and it's awesome!

With the oatflour, each piece of crust has about 2 grms of carbs.

I wanted to try something different than nut crusts, because I'm out of nuts and I do love the taste of pastry.

Off for a bike ride...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Maggie

TamiOrr Mon, Oct-13-03 13:42

Maggie...that sounds so yummy....how did the pie turn out or have you not had any yet?

ykmaggie Mon, Oct-13-03 13:58

Tammy, it was to die for!

Flaky, rich, just like real pie crust. I'm in heaven!

I like to make quiche, and I think it would work great for that as well....

If you try it, let me know what you think.

Take care

Maggie

mind-full Wed, Oct-15-03 12:25

I'm wondering how this would work using butter in the crust as opposed to shortening? I'm sure it would be excellent, but maybe not as flaky?

Some people will rail against the use of Crisco due to the trans fats in it.

I don't have the 0-carb stuff, but will have to order some!

---Amy

LoveSong Wed, Oct-15-03 18:33

hi, could you tell me what the "zero carbwise bake mix" is please? thanks!

ykmaggie Wed, Oct-15-03 22:14

Hi

I don't know why butter wouldn't work...

Zero carb bake mix is by Carb Sense, but hey, you should be able to make it yourself with a combo of maybe vital wheat glutin, oat flour and or protein powder. I think we just need to try these things to see if they work...

Maggie

alaskaman Wed, Oct-15-03 23:15

Maggie, thanks for posting that. Can hardly wait to try it. regarding crisco alternatives, butter has been suggested, one could use lard also, some swear by it, its what everybody used to use before trans-fats came in and everybody started getting heart trouble. Bill

alaskaman Wed, Oct-15-03 23:18

Oh, Maggie, P.S., about rolling it, when I make fragile doughs, I roll it between 2 pieces of wax paper, then peel off the top one, flip the rolled-out dough into the pan, with the wax paper on top, you know, and then peel off the wax paper. Usually works pretty well. Cheers, Bill

ykmaggie Thu, Oct-16-03 20:36

Bill, you're a genius!

Thank you!

What a great idea...

Maggie

IslandGirl Fri, Oct-17-03 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykmaggie
... Zero carb bake mix is by Carb Sense, but hey, you should be able to make it yourself with a combo of maybe vital wheat glutin, oat flour and or protein powder. I think we just need to try these things to see if they work...Maggie

From the Carbsense website at www.carbsense.com:

Zero Carb Baking Mix
Net Carbs: 0 <---- this is per serving so 1/2 Cup dry ~30g
Net Weight: 14 oz (392 grams)
SRP: $9.49 US
Ingredients:
SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE (NON-GMO), OAT BRAN, WHEAT GLUTEN, BAKING SODA.

Just work out some reasonable proportions...

Carbno Fri, Oct-17-03 18:20

Does anyone know if it would be okay to substitute
oil for the shortening/butter?
Carbno

Dena241 Fri, Nov-21-03 08:57

Would it be OK to use soy flour instead of oat flour? Thanks!

patnaude12 Fri, Dec-12-03 16:40

Fabulous Sounding Recipe

Hi Maggie,

This is definitely one for me to try, thank you very much.

Carol :rose: :rose:

Nancy LC Tue, Dec-30-03 16:08

I made a crust for my pumpkin pie too! I just took a standard crust receipe from my cookbook, used Wheat Protein Isolate instead of flour. I also used butter rather than lard. It was fabulous!

It even rolled out. Although, I must confess it left the stickiest glueiest stuff on my hands. I had to use an abrasive scrubber to get it off my hands.

Also, I rolled it out on this odd, rubber mat it didn't stick to. Then I put the pie plate on top of the crust, with the bottom up. Then turned it over. Squished it around to fit.

I almost enjoyed the crust more than the actual pie. :p

I don't think you can use oil for a crust, the crust gets flakey and wonderful because of the globules of butter that are trapped in the flour. Oil would make it a big gooey mess.

Soy flour might be possible. It has a distinct flavor that I don't care for, so I usually try to cut soy flour with something else, like wheat gluten, wheat protein isolate, oat flour or something.

patnaude12 Tue, Dec-30-03 19:02

Thanks for your recipe

Dear Nancy,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. I still haven't tried the recipe but will very soon as well as your recipe.

Carol :rose: :rose: