Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   How do you cook ribs that "fall off the bone" (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=72131)

jude Fri, Nov-22-02 16:31

How do you cook ribs that "fall off the bone"

I just bought a beautiful strip of pork ribs (1.85 lbs) for $11.00 on special.

Unfortunately, the last few times I've cooked spareribs, they haven't been very successful, even though I cooked them in a slow oven (300 degrees), and added a little water to the pan.

You've heard the expression "stick to the ribs"? Well, that's what my spareribs do......eating them is a real chore--they sure aren't tender enough to "fall of the bone".

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

judy

penelope Fri, Nov-22-02 17:20

I put the oven on at 500 for 20minutes then put the ribs in, uncovered, and turn it down.
I usually sprinkle them with garlic powder and cook them at 275 with no water until they fall off the bone, two ½ to three ½ hours.
I check to see how they are doing.
I get nice crispy bits and they stay tender.

DH cooks them on the unlit side of the grill on the BBQ.It takes a very long time.
Forty minutes before serving he puts the BBQ sauce on them

penelope Fri, Nov-22-02 17:31

I use country ribs, which are thicker.
The same applies in cooking .
Remember you are talking to the Queen of crunch :D

molmerlin Fri, Nov-22-02 17:36

put them in a crockpot in the morning, by that evening you will not believe how tender!!!

jude Sat, Nov-23-02 15:52

Thanks both of you for the suggestions.

I don't have a crockpot (maybe Santa will be good to me), so I think tomorrow I'll try the 20 minute 500 degree oven. I guess the idea is to seal in the juices before turning the oven down to 275.

Penelope, how long do you think they should take to cook? I have an idea that's my mistake--not cooking them long enough.

Thanks again.

judy

penelope Sat, Nov-23-02 16:18

Jude,
I warm up the oven to 500 and turn it down as soon as the ribs are put in.
I woudl start looking after 2 hours.
My ribs get caramel brown on the outside and pink and juicy on the inside.
Get one out and bite into it. :D

jude Sat, Nov-23-02 22:43

Thanks Penelope....I'm going to go for it tomorrow.

judy

lowcarbjo Sun, Nov-24-02 14:23

The way I do ribs is cut them into widths of about 2-3 bones. Boil in a lg pot of water and some spices ( bayleaves, peppercorn etc..) for about 45-60 min. Remove from pot and place either on the BBQ of I put them in the oven on broil for about 5010 min per side. To die for!!! Fall off the bone for sure!!! While in the oven or on the BBQ I either brucsh on a sauce ( try to keep as low carb as poosible) or sprinle on seasalt and garlic!! Hope this helps! :wave:

lowcarbjo Sun, Nov-24-02 14:25

WOW.... I JUST REALIZED HOW TERRIBLE MY TYPING SKILLS ARE.... IT SHOULD READ... 5 TO 10 MINS ON BROIL, OR IN THE BBQ. OOHPS!! :eek:

jude Sun, Nov-24-02 15:29

Thanks Jo.....maybe I'll try your method next time. I put the ribs in about an hour ago in the 500 degree oven, turned it down immediately to 275 and the wait is on. Wish me luck!

judy

jude Sun, Nov-24-02 18:59

Hey Penelope,

The ribs turned out great....didn't use any sauce--didn't need
to, they were delicious and, yes, the meat fell right off the bone.

Thanks again,

judy

secondtime Mon, Nov-25-02 14:25

Talk about my good luck. Just brought home some ribs and decieded to check on here how to cook them. I really appericated all the help I have recieved from the LC comminity.
Thanks again.....Hmmmmmm RIBS.

penelope Mon, Nov-25-02 14:47

Jude , :)
this is great
I am glad the ribs were a success.
:sunny: Pene

DWRolfe Mon, Nov-25-02 15:17

Fool proof...

A friend of mine taught me how to prep ribs that kill...

...boil them in a large pot (4 quarts water or so) with 1 cup vinegar and salt. I usually boil them about 45 minutes to an hour. Then I either slap them on the grill or refrigerate and slap them on the following day.

They meat will fall off the bones and you can slather sauce on for your friends and family. I eat mine dry.

Excellent!!

Donald :wave:

brimnercla Wed, Nov-27-02 06:41

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all!! I want to make these ribs tonight...but I was just wondering if you still boil these ribs first before you cook them in the oven? Or, do you just put them in the oven after you turn it down from 500 ???

Thanks.