Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Random cravings (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=477250)

Phantomess Fri, May-19-17 17:23

Random cravings

Does this happen to anyone? The other day I was just at work and suddenly I had a craving for scalloped potatoes. I hardly ever eat them. I love them, but rarely eat them, yet I had a craving. I'm still craving them, hard core. Then, yesterday, I had a craving for biscuits, another food which I rarely eat. Today when I went out for breakfast, sausage with biscuits and gravy were on the menu - I think I died a little inside.

YNot Fri, May-19-17 19:13

I know what you mean...what's with that? I've been craving pizza like crazy. I used to eat it sometimes, I like it okay, but it is NOT something I have ever craved before.

Rosebud Sat, May-20-17 00:20

When I first started, I used to get dreadful cravings right out of the blue. So I turned to my trusty Atkins book (Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution) to see if he had anything to say about cravings, and of course he did.
For prevention of cravings, he suggests L-Glutamine, and so do I! For me it was a life saver! One to two tablets half an hour before meals and you'll be feeling more like your self/ves.
But for instant treatment, eating something high in protein and fat can curb those cravings like magic. Try a piece of cheese or some tuna with lots of mayo, or something along those lines.

Just do not give in, or you'll be right back where you started. Feeding cravings is like feeding a monster. (Been there, done that. :blush: )

tess9132 Sat, May-20-17 10:25

Recently, I was hit by wild chocolate cravings. My theory is that it was my body's way of telling me I needed more magnesium. I don't know if that's right, but it made me feel better to think I was doing something besides shoving chocolate in my face.

Phantomess Sat, May-20-17 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
When I first started, I used to get dreadful cravings right out of the blue. So I turned to my trusty Atkins book (Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution) to see if he had anything to say about cravings, and of course he did.
For prevention of cravings, he suggests L-Glutamine, and so do I! For me it was a life saver! One to two tablets half an hour before meals and you'll be feeling more like your self/ves.
But for instant treatment, eating something high in protein and fat can curb those cravings like magic. Try a piece of cheese or some tuna with lots of mayo, or something along those lines.

Just do not give in, or you'll be right back where you started. Feeding cravings is like feeding a monster. (Been there, done that. :blush: )

I'm going to have to try the L-Glutamine, thank you. It's been about 2 weeks since I've given in. I've decided not to do that again no matter how hard it is.

Phantomess Sat, May-20-17 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
Recently, I was hit by wild chocolate cravings. My theory is that it was my body's way of telling me I needed more magnesium. I don't know if that's right, but it made me feel better to think I was doing something besides shoving chocolate in my face.

Lol - I'm actually going to buy some magnesium to help with my leg cramps. It would be great if it helps with the chocolate cravings too!