Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Semi Low-Carb Plans (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=138)
-   -   Triglycerides (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=453452)

estar19 Fri, Jun-21-13 20:39

Triglycerides

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here and I haven't really read any low carb books but I recently got my hereditary high triglycerides (670) down to below normal (140) by semi low carb diet. The problem is that I'm a pescatarian ( I only eat fish, no other meat). I'm trying to find sources for protein and I'm wondering if milk and eggs make triglycerides go up or is that a myth like avoiding high fat? I'm actually trying to also GAIN weight as I am underweight and the only thing that seems to put weight on me is carbs! And also how much does sugar affect triglycerides? Anyone have experience with these foods and trygs?

Nancy LC Fri, Jun-21-13 20:56

Milk has a fair amount of sugar in it in the form of lactose. But cheese has less, as does cream.

The things that makes triglycerides go up is carbs, pure and simple. Eggs, meat, cheese, none of that does. Sugar and fructose are probably even worse than starch carbs for that.

Congrats on the remarkable reduction. :) Many of us get our triglycerides well below 100, down to 60 or less. I bet you can too!

JoreyTK Fri, Jun-21-13 21:52

Eat as many eggs as you want, without sounding too cheesy, they are a super food.

estar19 Sat, Jun-22-13 17:48

Thanks for your help. So I should prob limit my honey intake too, huh? And yogurt is not good either?

Nancy LC Sat, Jun-22-13 19:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by estar19
Thanks for your help. So I should prob limit my honey intake too, huh? And yogurt is not good either?

Full-fat greek yogurt isn't bad. You should look for it. It is very awesome tasting. Just get the lowest carb yogurt you can find.

Honey is bad for your triglycerides due to the extremely high fructose content. It is higher in fructose than HFCS!

estar19 Sun, Jun-23-13 00:10

Wow, good to know. What's the best natural sweetener, stevia?

Nancy LC Sun, Jun-23-13 08:30

There are lots to choose from:

Stevia, erythritol, xylitol, monk fruit (lo han)

Some brands: Nu Naturals stevia is good, Truvia (stevia + eryrithritol), Nutrisse (stevia + monk fruit)

Be careful of things containing sugar alcohols, except erythritol, because they can cause intestinal upset.

MPrufrock Tue, Jan-27-15 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by estar19
Hi Everyone,
I'm new here and I haven't really read any low carb books but I recently got my hereditary high triglycerides (670) down to below normal (140) by semi low carb diet. The problem is that I'm a pescatarian ( I only eat fish, no other meat). I'm trying to find sources for protein and I'm wondering if milk and eggs make triglycerides go up or is that a myth like avoiding high fat? I'm actually trying to also GAIN weight as I am underweight and the only thing that seems to put weight on me is carbs! And also how much does sugar affect triglycerides? Anyone have experience with these foods and trygs?

Lentils are your friends! You can get good carbs, fibre and protein from them but they do not raise your triglycerides/ blood sugar. I just posted recipes for lentil flatbreads.