Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Success Stories (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   The Other Side of 175 (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=33940)

KarenB Wed, Feb-13-02 11:58

The Other Side of 175

Now, 175 might sound like a lot to some of you reading. It might sound like waif-thin to others of you. But this is a real benchmark for me.

See, the last time I weighed 175 lbs I was all of about 14 years old and a freshman in high school. It was all uphill from there, so to speak. By the time I graduated I was close to 200, and once I got to college, well, all bets were off. I don't remember exactly what the scale read then, but on the day I got married (a year after I graduated) I was at 208. And no, I still wasn't done "growing."

I won't iterate all the fluctuations or all the failed diets. Let's just say it started before I was 14, when my mom decided I needed to lose about 40lbs (she was right, I did) and put me on the dreaded restricted-calorie plan. Just me, not herself or my dad. I got to have my measured portions and plain foods while they had whatever they liked, as much of what they liked, as often as they liked. I did lose the 40lbs. I went from 180 to 140 for *one day.* I wore a beautiful size 14 (which is now probably a 10, with the "vanity sizing" we have nowadays) dress to church that day, and when I came home, I hung it in the closet. It stayed there. I never, ever wore it again. I started to EAT. The cycle continued for decades.

Finally, last spring (April Fool's Day, actually--something serendipitous about that, I think!) I decided to Do Something. I'm not sure what the galvanizing incident was. Perhaps it had to do with my little girl, who the December before had remarked to me about a picture in a magazine, in an ad for some weight-loss scheme. "Mama, is that you?" No, I said, that's not me. "But you're fat like her!"

She will *never* know what that did to me. When I was alone that night I just lay in bed and cried. I had a steady fellow, true, but I knew he wasn't going to be The One--we just really enjoyed each other's company. I mentioned this to him not long after, when I had started rather half-heartedly to count fat grams and fiber as I had learned in my quasi-successful stint in WW a few years ago. He knew I was struggling, and he was behind me all the way. "Whatever you decide to do, you let me know if I can help. Even if it's just to say 'good going, keep it up' or hug you if you need it."

Anyway, I fiddled around with counting fat grams and fiber grams for a couple of months, but my heart wasn't really in it. It had worked for a while before, but ultimately I didn't really *learn* anything from the experience. Then one day I was buying some vitamins and mineral supplements at the local drugstore when I saw a copy of Dr. Atkins's "Age-Defying Diet." Well, being on the far side of 40 already, that caught my eye. I read the entire thing that night and decided that low-carb was the way for me. The section about "Syndrome X" struck a deep, deep chord. That was ME he was writing about.

The next day--April Fool's Day, 2001--I began low-carbing. I told my fellow about it, and he looked at me a little oddly but kept his word to be supportive. I didn't say a thing to anyone at work, or any of my friends. I had tried so many times to lose weight and never did for any length of time, I wasn't about to go around touting this as The Last Time and then fail again.

So here I am, 10 months later. I have lost 45 lbs and 15 inches. I'm wearing size 14s now, instead of the 18-20s I was in when I began. (At my heaviest I wore a 24-26. I managed to lose some of that weight with Herbalife, but gained a portion of it back when I quit using their products for financial reasons.) I expect I'll be in a 12 by the time I reach goal, which is only 25 lbs away now.

No, I'm not done. But that doesn't make this any less of a success story! :D

goingfor60 Fri, Feb-15-02 21:01

Motivation

Without the right motivation nothing would have worked.

Now look how far you've come, continue to look forward and definately dont look back.

Well done...

Shannon :wave:

plum Sat, Feb-16-02 10:50

many congratulations Karen, I can imagine how you feel. Good for you

razzle Mon, Feb-18-02 11:55

it's a major accomplishment, Karen, and you should feel tremendously proud of yourself! There's a lot in your history I related to and I'm sure others will, too.

This time, you're going to stay at goal far longer than 1 day, too. :)

LittleAnne Sat, Feb-23-02 09:47

Well done Karen on your success so far. You must be really pleased with the new you that is emerging.

I look forward to the day I get to 175 lb, but expect that this will not be until the end of the year.

Keep up the excellent work.

Little Ann

KarenB Sat, Feb-23-02 12:06

Thanks, everyone

It's nice to know other people read these things I prattle on about. :)

If there's one thing I've learned on this WOL, it's not to put a time frame on success. I have *never* been successful in the long term with any other change in my eating--mainly because those changes weren't permanent. I didn't see them as *lifestyle* changes. This one is.

I no longer say "I'll weigh X by date Y." I say "I'll weigh X when I'm done losing weight." It takes as long as it takes. Come April 1 I'll have been LCing for one year. I have no clue where I'll be in my progess by then--hopefully farther than I am right now, but there's no way to *know* that. I *do* know that I will be eating this healthy way for the rest of my days, however many there are. I *do* know that I look better and feel better than I *ever* have before as an adult.

And it's "when I'm done losing weight," not "when I finish this diet." That's a *major* shift in my thinking too. This isn't a diet, kids. It's LIFE. It's my life, and I'm LOVING it!

HeyCE Sun, Feb-24-02 00:33

Yeah KarenB!

Great success story-in-the-making, Karen!!

(and anyone new here looking for inspiration, please run down to the Journals and read KarenB's from top to toe--you'll find even more inspiration.)

:D :D :D

MARY_MCCRE Sun, Feb-24-02 11:00

WAY TO GO , kAREN

WOW, What an inspiration you are...you are going to have a great summer. I can see you in your bathing suit now..you and your little girl catching some sun.

Keep up the good work, you have the right idea and frame of mind,,this is surely a life style change and not a diet..that makes all the difference in the world to me.

Nest time, post some before and after pictures..i bet they are amazing.

Good luck to you.

Mary
230/150 hit goal after 9 months of lowcarbing..and feel wonderful. Ill never go backwards again.

KarenB Sun, Feb-24-02 22:42

WOW yourself, Mary!

Only 9 months!!?? Talk about inspirations!

I am SO envious... :) I know it's going to take me at least the year and probably longer than that, but it doesn't matter to me, as I said.

WTG, you!!

KarenB Tue, Apr-16-02 22:54

Okay, I was wrong.

See back there, where I said I thought I'd be in a 12 when I was finished losing?

I was SO wrong.

I AM WEARING SIZE 12 RIGHT NOW.

And I haven't lost weight in two months. I've lost *inches* but not weight. Since beginning BFL on 3/18, I've lost over 9.5 inches. And this weekend I put on a size 12 skort. Today I am wearing size 12 shorts. SHORTS!!! I haven't worn shorts in YEARS.

Don't bother with that freaking scale, folks. Ignore it. Turn it into a plant stand, like I did. Pay attention to your body and your clothes. You'll be glad you did.

dankar Wed, Apr-17-02 05:40

congratulations...

Congratulations, Karen, on your wonderful results. If I had to choose between lost weight and lost inches - like you I'd take the inches.
Thanks for sharing your story with the rest of us. dankar

HelloKitty Wed, Apr-17-02 08:09

I just love reading about your successes, Karen! You deserve them and more!!!!

:wave:

Melissa

TeriDoodle Wed, Apr-17-02 09:55

Karen, you are so much fun to read and a great inspiration!! Thanks for all your posts.... I read a BUNCH of 'em!!!

I'm very happy for all your positive changes....and I'm right behind you!!!