Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Yummy chicken alfredo. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=268346)

Nakkira Fri, Sep-30-05 14:43

Yummy chicken alfredo.

My boyfriend BEGS me for it even tho he knows I'm going to make it every week. It's a real kid pleaser too.

Chicken Alfredo

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder or minced fresh garlic to taste
1/2 teaspoon rosemary (optional)
1/2 teaspoon marjoram (optional)
salt (optional)
black pepper (optinal)
1 package of 3 or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
8oz heavy whipping cream
1-2 tablespoons sour cream
3-5 oz parmesan cheese

*Note: these measurements are just approximate, I don't ever use measuring cups or spoons, I just go by what looks right and how it tastes.

Cut chicken into bite sized pieces
season with ground spices and salt
heat sautee pan and add olive oil
add fresh garlic (if using)
add chicken, cook thoroughly
add cream, sour cream and parmesan cheese
taste test and adjust accordingly (your sauce will taste pretty close to the finished product almost immediately after adding all ingredients but allow for the sauce to cook a few minutes before adding anything)

Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.

You can add a couple drops of lemon juice if your sauce seems too thick.

I like to serve the chicken over baby spinach. You could try it with spaghetti squash or LC pasta.

zesty Sun, Oct-02-05 00:28

okay thanks for the recipe

locarbbarb Sun, Oct-02-05 09:56

This sounds great!

You are quite a cook!

linnieom Sun, Oct-02-05 20:12

That sounds great thanks linda

rpavich Wed, Oct-05-05 16:16

Nakkira,
This recipe was not only AWESOME but very easy to make....thanks!

I got compliments from all of my "non-low-carbing" friends also!

This is a keeper for sure..

bob

Nakkira Wed, Oct-05-05 18:21

Thanks rpavich!

For some reason I can't edit my post but I wanted to add that I switched from using rosemary and marjoram to Italian seasoning. It's easier for me and tastes better IMO.

Oh yeah, and I use grated parmesan.

archgirl Tue, Feb-17-09 20:10

Yummy

I made this tonight and added sliced red peppers and sliced mushrooms to bulk it up a bit. This made the sauce a little more watery, so I think I might try making the sauce on the side in a separate pan, but the red peppers added a nice sweetness and good color.

missymagoo Tue, Feb-17-09 23:24

sounds really good. sue

Chillygatr Mon, Jul-13-09 17:42

Chicken Alfredo My plan recipe

I put it into My Plan
Chicken Alfredo Recipe

I added mushrooms and removed the rosemay. I made this tonight and it was awesome. Can't wait for lunch tomorrow.

krystalr Wed, Dec-09-09 09:19

This was wonderful!

I swapped out the sour cream for 1 oz (ro so) of cream cheese, and also added in 2 cups of fresh spinach. It was a hit! I couldn't believe how easy and FAST this was to put together!

Darcie Sun, May-02-10 16:04

this is as good as any Alfredo sauce I've had. I made mine with shrimp instead of chicken and ate it over spinach. I also saved the remaining sauce for a low carb salad dressing. The rosemary makes it!

KDenise Tue, Jun-01-10 12:56

How long (at least approximate) does the chicken cook. My seem's to come out tough.

gweny70 Wed, Jun-02-10 11:37

I'm trying this tonight!!

abbyb1 Fri, Jun-04-10 16:08

Just made this tonight. Got rave reviews from my two boys. I think I made it a bit salty though. I'll definitely adjust my salt content in the future.

Thanks for sharing!

alansue216 Tue, Jul-06-10 19:04

Thanks for the idea. I need a quick recipe tonight. I sounds yummy.

gweny70 Thu, Aug-26-10 10:28

I still didn't get around to trying this but need some new recipes now that I'm refocused..So adding this to my list for for next week. I'm sure it will be yummy!

newagegirl Mon, Apr-11-11 17:37

This sounds so delish! I can't wait to try it! Chicken Alfredo has always been my weakness. ...I'll miss the real pasta, but I'm sure I can find something else. Or heck, maybe just eat it as is, huh? Thanks for sharing this!

pampam86 Mon, May-09-11 00:53

AMAZING recipe! Tied it last night, but instead of sour cream ( as I had none) I used light cream cheese! All the measurements were 'by eye', the dish was prepared in less than 10' and it was delicious over a green salad!

Binarygod Sun, Jan-01-12 18:30

Made this for dinner tonight and it was amazing! I'm eating it on a bed of cauliflower rice and it's awesome.

Thanks for sharing!!

kvcooks Sun, Jan-01-12 21:27

I make this with diced zucchini and call it Chicken Ricardo after the old boyfriend who taught me the recipe. It's luscious. I love the idea of serving it with spinach, though and I have a bag sitting in my fridge. Hmm...I know what's for dinner tomorrow night!

yoyonogo Thu, May-24-12 11:18

thank you, I am looking forward to making this. i have been in a rut trying to come up with dinner ideas

NorCalStan Mon, Sep-03-12 20:32

I made this tonight and it was delicious...thanks!

Nakkira Wed, Sep-12-12 15:16

Quick update: This recipe has become a staple and I'm still making it regularly, 7 years later! My mom has stolen this from me and makes it all the time. I do like to change it up a bit and go with a bit of cream cheese instead of the sour cream. Thanks for that suggestion!

Ilovelists Thu, Oct-18-12 15:14

Yum! I also add mushrooms, diced onions and cubed pancetta

JPeters43 Tue, Dec-11-12 20:34

I made this tonight. I served it over steamed broccoli and zucchini. It was very good. My belly is full.

Alocin75 Tue, Aug-06-13 10:52

I made this last night. It was awesome! Even my husband and daughter liked it. I modified it a bit, cooing the chicken in coconut oil half way, then added 1 cup of whipping cream, 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, and 1 tsp of Italian seasonings, and some pepper. (The cheese is salty, so didn't salt it.) Cooked until chicken done and cream thickened. Then took off stove and let thicken even more.

Thank you for the recipe. :)

missymagoo Sun, Aug-11-13 12:41

yummy!! going to make this again.

stacineves Thu, Sep-19-13 20:28

How many carbs in this recipe?

I made this dish tonight and it was AWESOME! Felt like I was cheating Big Time!! How many net carbs exactly in this dish and I used one serving of Low Carb pasta (at 5 net carbs per serving)?

Caroxx Fri, Oct-18-13 07:08

KDenise - bite sized chicken pieces (of the same thickness) shouldn't take more than about 5 min to fry, if you stir and turn them often. You'll want your skillet at medium to medium high. Once you've cooked them a few times, you can see what's done and what's not - to avoid overcooking, I remove what's cooked while finishing off the rest, then it all goes back in for the next steps. Good luck!

jcm13 Fri, Mar-24-17 16:43

Made it for dinner this evening and it was great! Whole family enjoyed it. Good to get some comfort food while struggling through Atkins induction.