Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Salads Veggies & Side Dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Miss your mash potatoes? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=142473)

MikeS Sun, Oct-12-03 13:44

Miss your mash potatoes?

I love mash potatoes, but they are no go on a low carb diet.

I have found a substitute

Celeriac, boiled and mashed, with a little butter, cream or grated cheese added, tastes very similar, and is only around 2% carb.

Mike

Kristine Mon, Mar-01-04 18:53

I tried this tonight. Not half bad. :thup: Pretty strong celery flavour, but I only had sour cream to put on it. Next time, I'll probably try bacon and cheddar cheese. :thup:

Karen Mon, Mar-01-04 20:29

I love celeriac too! :)

For a mash-y type thing, I mix it half and half with cauliflower. Lightens the flavour a bit and lowers the carbs a bit.

It also makes a great salad a la Julia Child... Celeriac Remoulade

Don't be put off by the name. It's pretty easy and very tasty!

Karen

leshaimors Tue, Mar-02-04 09:44

is celeriac the same as celery root? i have a recipe that calls for celery root but have had difficulty finding it.

Karen Tue, Mar-02-04 11:15

Quote:
is celeriac the same as celery root?
Yep! Same thing. :)

Here's a picture of them

Karen

WeeOne Tue, Mar-09-04 18:10

Yikes they look like a tumor!

Oh well, now worse than daikon!

Wee

leshaimors Wed, Mar-10-04 09:43

well, i finally found the celery root and tried the recipe for celery root puree found in Suzanne Somers Fast and Easy. It does have a strong celery flavor, but i love celery so it didn't bother me a bit. I ate mine with gravy form a beef roast I had prepared and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

wow Thu, Mar-11-04 18:21

I have heard of a califlower mash potato dish but I cant figure out how to search on the recipe section

Kristine Sat, Mar-13-04 10:10

Hi Wow. Click at the top of the page. Choose your keywords, like "mashed cauliflower" or just "cauliflower" for all cauli recipes. Then select this forum (Salad, Veggies & Side Dishes). :idea:

deb34 Tue, Apr-13-04 14:28

a romanian friend of mine regularly makes a salad of grated celery root and chopped cold chicken breast mixed with mayo and whatever spices you like in chicken salad. I 've had it and it's really great.

Deb

Itty Tue, May-11-04 07:59

I tried the caul mash, and it was good! I will try celery root sometime, too.

M

Talli Tue, May-11-04 08:42

I'm going to try the mashed potatoes with cauliflower this week. On Mother's Day my hubby cooked out for me and I made potato salad with cauliflower...it was FANTASTIC!!! We couldn't believe how good it was. Cauliflower will be a staple in my house. :)

penelope Wed, Apr-06-05 13:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb34
a romanian friend of mine regularly makes a salad of grated celery root and chopped cold chicken breast mixed with mayo and whatever spices you like in chicken salad. I 've had it and it's really great.Deb

I am making it this weekend.

Pene

susansmk Thu, Apr-07-05 07:11

This is probably a stupid question, but I have to ask...

I've seen mock mashed potatoes with cauliflower at Ruby Tuesday's and saw George Stella make them on his show. They *look* good, but I hate cauliflower. Do they taste like cauliflower? Would cauliflower haters like them?

Tonymoo Thu, Apr-07-05 08:44

I don't think you get a strong cauliflower taste - I always add some shredded leek as well.

I also like to make a celeriac dauphinoise - same as the potato version but with celeriac - this is really good