Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Chocolate Fudge (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=186038)

jun keater Fri, May-21-04 17:58

Chocolate Fudge

Chocolate Fudge

1 cup heavy whipping cream

8 ounces American Cheese , cut in cubes (do not use "cheese spread" such as Velveeta)

1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) no substitutions, must be unsalted

2 1-ounce squares unsweetened baking chocolate, broken up

2 cups Splenda

1 teaspoon Liquid Sweet'n Low

1 tablespoon unsweetened baking cocoa, sifted

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped small (optional)

1. Spray an 8" square baking pan and set aside.

2. In a medium-heavy saucepan, combine first six ingredients and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until melted. Sift in cocoa and bring to a boil, stirring constantly for one minute.

Remove from heat and add extract and walnuts. Pour into a plastic bowl and let cool until barely warm, whisking occasionally. It is cool enough when butter no longer separates. When butter stays incorporated, pour into prepared pan, smooth top and refrigerate several hours or until cold and firm.

3. Cut into 64 equal pieces. Store covered in the refrigerator. Makes 64 servings.

Per serving: 1.1 usable carbs each (without walnuts:; 1.2 g usable carbs each (with walnuts)

Michele-67 Fri, May-21-04 18:43

This sounds interesting. What kind of cheese should I use? Is it cream cheese or cheddar cheese?

Thanks... Michele

jun keater Fri, May-21-04 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele-67
This sounds interesting. What kind of cheese should I use? Is it cream cheese or cheddar cheese?

Thanks... Michele

No... it's not cream cheese or cheddar cheese. It's called: American Cheese - it's yellow and can be gotten in the deli section. It sounds kind of disgusting, but I just made it and it is delicious!

imlosingit Tue, May-25-04 20:25

anyone else tried this recipe? For some reason, I can't fathom putting cheese in fudge. What purpose does the cheese serve?

PecanPie Tue, May-25-04 21:22

Hi - I haven't tried this recipe, but when my kids were little they made fudge in kindergarten using american cheese, chocolate and sugar - they just mashed it up good in the baggie. I thought I would choke on it as it does sound disgusting, but I kid you not, it was good and tasted like a creamy fudge! Thanks for making me relive a delightful memory!

PecanPie

newgirlPEI Mon, May-31-04 13:55

AMERICAN CHEESE??? That just doesn't sound right.....ugh....anyone else try it?????

AFwife Mon, May-31-04 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by imlosingit
anyone else tried this recipe? For some reason, I can't fathom putting cheese in fudge. What purpose does the cheese serve?

I know right. Gonna have to try it if it gets a good report.

Vanity3 Mon, May-31-04 14:29

American cheese, the controversy surrounding Fudge! :lol:

Karen Mon, May-31-04 17:52

Quote:
AMERICAN CHEESE??? That just doesn't sound right.....ugh....anyone else try it?????
Try Googling 'Velveeta Fudge'. One hundred websites can't be wrong! ;)

Karen

imlosingit Tue, Jun-01-04 07:07

What is a substitute for 1 teaspoon Liquid Sweet'n Low?

LadyBelle Tue, Jun-01-04 11:34

I know people that swear by velvetta fudge :)

In canada do't you have something called canadian cheese? I seem to remember someone commenting on how we should be blaming each other on the gawd awful cheese instead of each naming it after ourselves.

uneamie Wed, Jun-09-04 19:02

I am confused. The original poster of the recipe said: 8 ounces American Cheese , cut in cubes (do not use "cheese spread" such as Velveeta).

So what's up with the Velveeta fudge? Is it something different than the recipe above, and is it good?

Brenjmull Wed, Dec-15-04 20:25

is there a sub for the liquid sweet and low that could be used? also can you use liquid splenda or does it need to be granular?? I want to try this fudge recipe but I do not have sweet and low, thanks for any help

Cissie Wed, Dec-15-04 20:31

Thanks! Been looking for a fudge recipe all week! To me the cheese sounds like it would be rich tasting. I'll give it a try. Hey didn't any of you ever hear of such things as sauerkraut cake, the kraut tastes like coconut. Also mock apple pie where you use ritz crackers in place of apples. There are several other similar type substitute recipes. All that I have tried are delicious so the cheese doesn't sound odd when I think of some of these.

Cissie

Cissie Wed, Dec-15-04 20:35

I hate to have to go buy liquid sweet n low. I have the package type on hand. Any idea if using the powder would mess this recipe up???

Cissie