Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   CAD/CALP (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   How many CAD/CALP followers on this forum? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=393059)

Eliza_Jazz Wed, Mar-18-09 20:21

How many CAD/CALP followers on this forum?

Hi Everyone,

I know our CAD/CALP group is not too large, but I was just thinking that I can literally count the people I know following CAD/CALP on this forum on the fingers of one hand. I am thinking of Eno, CynthiaD, Aria07, lil'annie, Hoppinn...sorry if I missed you.

If you are a CAD/CALP user, would you mind leaving a short message here? I promise to visit your journal and bug you to no end :lol:

lil' annie Thu, Mar-19-09 05:44

One day I spent many hours going through the first few pages of postings at this CAD/CALP forum, and I didn't find many currently active followers of these plans, so it's a wise idea of yours to post this thread, hopefully identifying them all.

Hoppinn Thu, Mar-19-09 16:35

I have been an active member of this group since I started CALP back in March, 2008.

Thanks for posting this thread Eliza.

Enomarb Thu, Mar-19-09 17:59

me- sorry no journal. I will answer PMs and posts. promise!
E

Eliza_Jazz Thu, Mar-19-09 21:29

Thanks Eno, Annie, and Teri. I was thinking that it would be great to know who can we turn to with CALP-specific questions/issues/comments. I thought more people would identify themselves as CALPers on this thread and that being new I hadn't gotten to meet all of them yet.

The Drs. Heller seem to have followed other pursuits, and I feel like they have abandoned us a little bit (for whatever reasons that may be). They don't market their plan (which is an excellent plan) or give presentations, or appear on TV. I don't think that many people hear about CAD/CALP any more. This makes my need for kindred WOE souls greater. I am very glad I found you guys and your support means a lot to me. :bhug:

Enomarb Fri, Mar-20-09 06:55

hi back, Eliza. There are more of us- really- and hopefully some will come over and see this thread and post too.
But you are right- it is a small group. It was the most popular probably after the Hellers went on Oprah in (I think) 1999.
It is still the plan for me!
E

Aria07 Fri, Mar-20-09 07:55

Hey, I'm here. CALP is not a well-known plan anymore, but it's still got a fairly large "cult" following. A lot of the people first tried it in the 90's & came back to it now because it *works* (that's me) or else heard about it through the grapevine from friends/family. It's true that there's not much marketing, but on the other hand, that means less CALP-inspired expensive junk food! (No CALP breakfast bars, shakes, candy etc.) One thing I like about the diet is its simplicity - no special foods needed, just read the book & go.

Eliza_Jazz Fri, Mar-20-09 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aria07
It's true that there's not much marketing, but on the other hand, that means less CALP-inspired expensive junk food! (No CALP breakfast bars, shakes, candy etc.) One thing I like about the diet is its simplicity - no special foods needed, just read the book & go.

Aria, this is exactly right! Because of the RM, there is no need for any of these junk foods. Why have soy flour cake with artificial sweetener (and who knows what else in it) if I can have some of the real thing with my RM? The way they stuff those imitation foods with chemicals, they cannot be any better than the corresponding real food.

Eno, I wish we could get Oprah back on CALP :D , then the CALP board will be hopping with people :lol: In 1999 Oprah said she would give CAD (at the time) 2 weeks. I wonder if she really did and what happened. I bet her low-fat buddy Bob Greene dissuaded her. I wish she had continued on it - if she had followed it properly, she would probably still be svelte today. And she would have influenced many people into a healthier lifestyle. It's Bob Greene I'm telling you ... She made him rich and he couldn't help her lose weight permanently.

samina9027 Sun, Mar-22-09 20:43

CAD/CALP group is not too large but add 1 more now!

hi Eliza and others,

I have joined up today and have been following CAD for approx 2 / 3 weeks. I have had some success with it but nothing like the success stories like i always read about, you know loosing 2 pounds or one pound a week. I haven't , infact my weight remained the same and have even put on half kilo one week..... can anyone suggest why?? is it because i have 15 pounds to lose ( have already lost 39 pounds thru low carb not CAD) and the less one has to lose then the slower the weight loss?? or am I eating too much at RM?? I do love this lifestyle though, it just makes so much sense and is really doable.

I look forward to hearing back from you all and reading your success stories. :)
Samina

lil' annie Mon, Mar-23-09 05:05

Hi there, Samina!

I'm pretty new to this, so others can advise you better, but I suggest that you get a copy of the Hellers' book entitled, The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program -- because the suggestions in that book are based upon the group of individuals who were VERY successful with the original CAD -- because some people who followed the original CAD were not particularly successful on it, while others definitely were.

:wave: Welcome to this forum!! :)

Enomarb Mon, Mar-23-09 06:17

hi Samina-
welcome! Your first post!
I think many people who switch to CAD/CALP find they lose slower than other LC plans, but they feel better and are just more satisfied.
Please let us help- can you post some daily menus?
E

samina9027 Mon, Mar-23-09 06:58

Daily menus

Hi there,

Thanks for your replys! Yes, below are some sample meals as well as my weight the following morning. Pls note I always finish my meals within the 60 mins - also I am starving by dinner time and want to put everything into my mouth !!

Day 1. WEIGHT 66.4 KGS ( to get pounds times by 2.2 )

B - 2 x eggs (omlette with half tsp onion and tomatoe, spinach and red peppers and mushrooms) coffee no milk/ sugar
L- Tuna salad - salad - half med tomato, 1 tbsp onions, cucumber (half), cabbage, lettuce (iceberg) and mayo (made with real egg less than 4 grams sugar per serve ) Coffee - no milk/sugar

D- Salad first (all veges as per book including avacado, carrots and tomatoes etc ) with salad dressing, then lentil curry, garlic prawns with rice and turkish bread followed by slice of banana cake and black coffee. FINISHED IN 60 MINS

DAY 2 Weight 66.8 kgs

Prebreakfast - Hot lemon water
B - vege omlette ( as above) coffee (never have milk or sugar)
L - Chicken Salad - chicken was grilled with oil salt and pepper. Salad same as above with mayo
D- Salad, Chicken noodle stir fry and half slice banana cake

Day 3 - Weight 66.3kgs

PB - Hot water with lemon
B - 2 scrambled eggs ( no milk or cheese) made with oil
L - Grilled prawn salad - 7 prawns grilled in garlic, oil salt and fresh lemon, salad same as above
D - Salad, Indian Bhryiani (rice dish with chicken), Okra curry, 1 vege samosa, dessert a small bite banana cake and 1 small bite baklava

Day 4 - 66.5 kgs

PB - Hot lemon water
B- 2 egg scrambled eggs as above
L- Japanese teriyaki chicken and veges (cabbage and green veges_
D - Same dinner as previous nite but smaller portion, no cake but had a piece of baklava

Day 5 - 66.1 kgs
B - scrambled eggs as above
L - Mushroom in cream sauce with salad - didnn't end up eating the salad though, the mushroom was one big one with some diced chicken in it and some melted cheese on top
D - Steamed fish parcels with Jasmine rice (approx 1 cup of Rice) dessert small slice banana cake

Day 6- 66.5 kgs

B - scrambled eggs
L- Chicken marinated in soya sauce (and other asian sauces) with salad (no dressing only lowcarb veges as usual) followed by small slice of cake (it was my Birthday and my staff bought it for me!!)
D - Indian restaurant - meat entrees, meat and spinach curry, butter chicken and rice with naan bread followed by carrot cake for dessert

Day 7 - 66.5 kgs

B- nothing
L - Chicken marinated in soy and other asian sauces as per above)
D - 2 x fried eggs and toast (2) dessert carrot cake

Day 8 - 66.5 kgs
B - vege omlette
L - chicken and salad ( as prepared on other days with salt and pepper)
D - Salad , Grilled chicken with Mushroom sauce, potatoe wedges with sour cream dessert carrot cake and coffee

Day 8- 66.0 Kgs !!!! Does all this info help target where I am going wrong ?? I can see the nights I don't have much carb (rice in particular )I loose weight but the days i do (again rice in particular ) i put on which is really bumming me out and confusing me cause the book CAD states I can have anything i want for RM as long as it;s within 60mins etc etc...... plus my weight just stays around the same numbers. I did the average for one week and my weight was the same.

Are my portions too big?? I am often told I dont eat much . If I am cooking chicken for salad for lunch then it is one chicken breast, tuna is the small size - 95 grams but occassionally more .

I would love some input here and even some sample menus from you guys as you have all lost weight!! bty - i am getting sick of having egg for breakfast - any other alternative?? ( i don't eat red meat or pork thought)

Thanks heaps!!

lil' annie Mon, Mar-23-09 08:00

I don't think you are getting enough protein at the reward meal.

After the two cups of salad greens, your reward meal should be divided into thirds:

one-third is PROTEIN
another third is a low-carb veggie
the last third is your carb of choice.

I'm positive that if you were to go to the USDA website and get your total carb counts, that you are way over in carbs, and way under on protein.

For instance, lentil curry is HIGH carb, and then you have a piece of turkish bread which is HIGH carb, and you also have banana bread which also is HIGH CARB.

You're are not suposed to have more that ONE high carb selection, and it is only permitted during the reward meal.

I occasionally eat a serving of beans or lentils, but I have a serving of MEAT - high PROTEIN and a serving of cooked LOW-carb veggies, like green beans or spinach.

For ANY high-carb selection at your reward meal, you must balance it off with a HIGH-PROTEIN meat or fish, and a LOW CARB vegetable.

I suggest that you get ahold of the CALP book, it should be at your public library.

Enomarb Mon, Mar-23-09 10:59

hi Samina-
thanks for the menus. Where do you live- Britain?

Anyway- I agree that you may need more protein with your RM and less carbs. You may also want to add more of the low carb (CM) veggies- some of your RMs don't have any veggies. Okra is great, but potato and lentil are not. Are you eating most of these RMs out? In my limited experience, most Indian and CHinese and Thai food is loaded with sugar. so.....
You may also be very sensitive to the rice- so why not cut that out and see what happens? I would also skip the lemon water in the morning and (if it were me) I'd only have onion and tomato with RM.

Hoppinn Mon, Mar-23-09 11:33

Samina, welcome!

Most of us follow the Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program around here. It sounds as if you are following the Carbohydrate Addict's Diet, which was the first book published.

I believe that CAD can be an easy diet to follow for some people, but it would not work for me because it would be too easy for me to overeat carbs. CALP is super simple to follow because you include protein and veggies in your CMs which can keep you satisfied for hours. The RM always begins with two cups of salad and then divide your plate into thirds and include the same amount of protein, veggies, and carbs. You can have more food if you are still hungry but you must keep it balanced and add more protein, veggies, and carbs.

May I suggest you visit your local library and pick up the CALP book since the information it has to offer can be extremely helpful. The book is also available at Amazon.

I wish you well and hope the program works as well for you as it does for me!