Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Mock Danish (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=18094)

Natrushka Wed, Aug-29-01 06:40

Mock Danish

Oh yum. I made this for breakfast. John saw the recipe and decided to opt out (at first. ha!) They are wonderful! and you can improvise as much as you like.

• Mock Danish

2 oz cream cheese (soften in microwave)
    1 egg
    1 tblspn splenda
    1 tsp lemon concentrate
    1/2 tsp vanilla

mix softened cream cheese and egg. Add remaining ingredients. microwave on high for 2 minutes.

I added some 50 fifty jam in the centre before nuking... delicious.

* it tastes better if you don't totally mix the egg and cream cheese; you get little pockets of crm cheese.

Nat

Sharon Thu, Aug-30-01 12:34

mock danish

Hi, just thought I'd let you know that we tried this last night....interesting!!!

Reminds me of custard....I also added a tsp. of raspberry jam to the centre before cooking....a nice quick....boost.

My sweetie and I shared it while it was still hot...I was wondering what it tasted like cold...but it didn't last that long.

Natrushka Thu, Aug-30-01 12:49

We had it again this morning but with cinammon and some butter in the centre when it came out of the microwave (omitted the lemon). Tasted just like french toast. May try it with some cocoa for a dessert. Its almost too good.

N

Sharon Fri, Aug-31-01 17:36

Cinnamon

I like the cinnamon idea?? Is this your own creation...if it is we should be posting it in the members recipe section.

In my other life, (high carb life!) I had this dessert I used to make. It was like a cake batter with raspberries and I steam cooked it. For serving I'd add a butterscotch sauce. (Similar to Christmas Pudding idea if you know it). When we were eating the mock danish with the hot raspberry jam...got me thinking...hmmmm....wonder how I could make a butterscotch sauce to go with it!!!

Natrushka Fri, Aug-31-01 19:46

unfortunately

it's not my own creation. I saw it on another BB this week.

It's amazing with the cinammon, kinda like french toast.

I'm going to add some cocoa and see if I can make a brownie.... might be tempting fate though.... I can see myself eating if for breakfast lunch and dinner!

Nat

debbiedobson Sat, Sep-01-01 08:25

oh sharon, i know exactily what kind of sauce you mean!! i think it's my favourite sauce in the world! i'll leave it to your expertise to figure out the lowcarb version! i'm counting on you sharon!!;)

debbiedobson Sat, Sep-01-01 08:26

oops!;)

r.mines Sat, Sep-01-01 10:22

Mock Danish variation

I tried it with quark instead of cream cheese (trying to cut down on dairy fat). It was yummy - more like custard than anything else. I used cinnamon and Splenda. It'd be great spooned warm over berries, or for those days when you're not feeling well and want something warm, eggy, and soothing.

Rachel

Sharon Mon, Sep-03-01 07:33

spraying the dish

This morning I used a cup (measuring cup), just because I had been using it for something else....anyways I mixed all the ingredients in the cup and then poured them in a lightly pam sprayed dish. The Danish just slide out of the dish and the clean up was real easy. I'd rather wash two easy dishes than one tough one!! (Actually I don't do much washing, but the baked on egg doesn't come off very well in the dishwasher!)

Natrushka Mon, Sep-03-01 09:32

Dishes

I use one of the reusable/disposalbe tupperware containers to make them. They have yet to stick to the bowl and clean up's a breeze. I've found if you take a spatula and go around the sides of the bowl prior to microwaving there's very little that gets "baked on". I also run the spatula around the edges when I take it out after one minute and add the Jam (Fifty 50 for John). Going to try the quark this week and see how that works. Thx for the suggestion, Rachel.

Nat

Sharon Wed, Sep-05-01 13:45

You're right

Nat, this seems to be our little conversation...but wanted you to know this morning I tried this Mock Danish in a "Rubbermaid" type container...and it didn't stick, not like it does in a glass dish.

Actually, put the ingredients together and "miked" it when I got to the office. You could smell the cinnamon all over the whole office, it was heavenly!!

Another neat little breakfast idea.....or dessert...or for whenever that's for sure.

Deirdre Thu, Sep-06-01 09:16

I just made this with cinnamon and brown sugar twin instead of lemon and put some E.D. Smith no sugar maple syrup on it.
Mmmmmmmm!

Thanks for posting it, it's easier than the pork rind pancakes, although it might be harder to make the quantity that would satisfy my husband!

Natrushka Thu, Sep-06-01 09:32

Quote:
Originally posted by Deirdre
although it might be harder to make the quantity that would satisfy my husband!

I know the feeling!!

Heard every night at my house.... "How 'bout a mock danish for dessert?"

Nat

cori Thu, Sep-06-01 17:57

Ok!

I must try this right now. Stay posted for my verdict!

cori Thu, Sep-06-01 18:14

I can't believe how good this is...

I have to get offline now to make another. Delish! Thanks Natrushka! Hey - what's the carb count on my newest addiction?