Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   TOF's (The Over Fifty's) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Senior Support (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=86182)

SDgrandma Tue, Jun-17-03 16:49

Yes, the liquid Splenda does not have any carbs but we can't get it. Dr. Atkins says Splenda is OK in moderation. Just count the carbs. Splenda should not cause a stall if you don't overdue it. The aspertame in pop though does for some people.

Going back to induction is a good idea. We develop bad habits even low carbing. There was a Back to Basics challenge recently and I think everyone who did it had good results.

I haven't lost anything for a week. I think I'm overeating today. Been hungry and snacking all afternoon - Atkins bar, nuts, cream cheese. Will know when I enter my food tonight. If I have a loss tomorrow it will prove my theory that upping my carbs occasionally helps the metabolism.

Stalls are mysterious. They can be caused by so many things. And everyone is different. A while back I read the website of a woman who was a successful low carber. She said she did not begin to lose steadily until she began taking the right supplements and discovered what foods she was sensitive to. She's an RN so I emailed her and asked how she figured these out. She pointed me in the right direction on supplements, but I haven't been able to find the information on food sensitivity. I've been researching it on the web but so far have only learned that eggs and dairy are most often the problem. To find out you're supposed to go off the food for at least 4 days, then eat it to see what your reaction is. There is a list of symtoms you will have immediately if you are sensitive. Gets very complicated.

Well, need to check on hubby's dinner. CYL

musicmama Tue, Jun-17-03 23:27

Well,,,the headache has passed,,,it has been almost 48 hours now without caffeine, and the only sweetener was splenda. We had a ladies fellowhip at church that was all Hawaian foods...I only ate canteloupe and a few strawberries......drank water with lemon. So far, so good.

Last night a mysterious bit of energy hit me around midnight,,,i cleaned my kitchen and finally made myself go to bed at 2!!!

I hope this starts working,,,I am a little discouraged today.....maybe I am just tired.

DH bought me a digital camera tonight!! Now I can start taking pictures as I lose!! So far,,we have taken about a half dozen of the dog ,,,just playing with it!!

I need to check up on those supplements too.....not sure what to take.
Well,,going to bed ,,work tomorrow,,,,,,,,catch ya later!!

musicmama Wed, Jun-18-03 17:27

Feeling tired and draggy today,,,,,need my supplements I guess.

I havent had a lot to eat today,,just my breakfast casserole for lunch and some cheese.....a diet rite and some water,,,and 2 cips decaf coffee with whipping cream in it.....

Does decaf still have 1 carb per cup?? :confused:

i got on the scales,,,a 4 pound gain, :( ,,but I think i know why....I really need to potty!!! Not gonna let it get me down.,,,,,I cheated on Sunday,,,it takes a few days to catch up,,,so I will keep on keeping on! :D

Well,,,,,going to church....will check when I get back!! Hope someone is here!!! :wave:

musicmama Thu, Jun-19-03 10:59

Okay,,,now I am really puzzled!!! Up 6 pounds today!!
What is going on??? I am sooooooo disgusted!!! :mad:
Lets see what I ate yesterday...

4 oz of breakfast casserole,,,8 carbs
coffee with whipping cream and splenda- 3
2 oz cheese- 2
4 oz breakfast casserole (hadda use it up)-8

supper- 2 hamburgers--0 g
2 T mayo- 0 g
2 oz cream cheese- 2
I T Peanut Butter- 3
66 oz water
coffee (decaf) wi whiping cream - 3

29 carbs,,,,,,,is that enough to make me gain??
Could it be constipation???

Today its meat and water!!!!
Help!!!

Traveller Thu, Jun-19-03 17:50

Hello again ,
And I think I might be able to point out something to you musicmama.
You are in starvation mode.
Were are your salads and veggies? I looked at your menu and I do not see any???
I see cheese and cream but no veggies no wonder you are constipated.
Atkins is not a starvation diet you are supposed to eat a balanced meal of protein and veggies with lots of water.
Try to have a salad and a few pieces of broccoli or cauliflower.
You do want to lose? I hope you do not get offended by my straight speaking, Please. :thup:
I will be looking forward to seeing and Hearing Dottie Rambo again I try to get the Gaithers every time I can.
It has been a busy week for me we have sanded our deck and are now starting to paint it and as soon as we get that finished we'll take off for a holiday in Mi. to meet 3 of my penpals that are coming there to see me. Oh I did lose another lb but I did not change my stats yet if it does not stay :) Have a great weekend and week until we meet again, GBU

musicmama Thu, Jun-19-03 22:02

No No,,,I would never get offended!! Thanks for the input!! Tonight for supper I had 10 oz of roast beef and a salad,,,,,and ate a half a green pepper. I went to FITDAY and put in my stats and so far I have had 14 carbs, and 2880 calories!!! Most of that was from meat. I am still caffeine free,,and not much sweetener either, just in my coffee in the morning.
I am really trying ,,,it occured to me that my calories had been way too low,,,now I probably overdid that! I have been hungry too,,,cant figure that out,,,maybe it was part of the starvation mode thing. Sigh....................
Welll you would think I would have this all figured out after a year,,,its a year tomorrow!! Oh well,,,,,at least I am still trying!
Well,,gotta go answer somemail. Catch ya later!!!

Traveller Fri, Jun-20-03 12:55

Hello !
I had to come back today to see if you booted me out. ;) I am very glad you took it like it was meant. We are all here on earth to help, love and support each other. I never could give up my coffee I am mixing it now 1/2 can of reg. 1/2 can decaf all together and I am only drinking one big mug every morning. I have more of a problem with tomato's and strawberries. If I have some at home they somehow disappear into my tummy :D and next day I have a 2 lb gain. I love both of those fruits.
Got the reeling painted today it is a big job, it is lattice and around a 16'x10 foot deck tomorrow we'll do the floor, it got too hot to finish everything today. I wish you both a great weekend.
Hugs,Lynn :wave:

musicmama Fri, Jun-20-03 21:53

Hey,,,,thats what friends are for, right? ;)
I think I am making some progress!! Today I had lots of energy,,my skirt was looser, and I was thirsty! Yesteray I had under 20 grams,,probably close to that today too. I had more fat than anything. The hardest part is cutting back on the cheese. I thought it would be the diet pop, but I am handling that fine. I went to a convenient store on the way to work to get a diet rite,,and was tempted to get a diet pepsi because they didnt have any,,,,but I didnt!! That is a milestone for me! :thup: I am anxious to weigh myself in a week,,, :D
So far so good,,,,,,!!!!!!!! :roll:

musicmama Sat, Jun-21-03 07:42

WOOHOO!!!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: I just got a minute,,but had to share,,,,,,got on the scale this morning,,,,,,9 pounds down!!!! Thats the six I had gained PLUS THREE MORE!! :thup: I guess the new regimen did it!! The stall is broken!! I am sooooo excited now! I was beginning to think nothing was going to change those numbers! That convinced me,,,no more aspertame or caffeine,,,and I will take Lcarnitine till I die!!!
Gotta go to work,,,,catch ya later!!! Bye!

SDgrandma Sat, Jun-21-03 12:36

CONGRATULATIONS!!! musicmama!

It's amazing what a difference eating more meat and vegies makes. I've been sloppy lately. Trying to eat only when really hungry, but then just grabbing what's convenient. I need to plan.

Traveller...I haven't been able to give up my coffee in the morning either. I also mix regular and decaf. When I go out I try to drink decaf except when I get close to Starbucks! But I drink more than 2 cups I'm afraid.

I dropped another pound since I last posted. The loss is slow but seems to be steady. I feel smaller and my clothes fit better but my measurements hadn't changed this morning.

Have to go figure out what we'll have for supper. It's rainy here today so probably can't grill.

CYL

musicmama Thu, Jun-26-03 22:41

Hey everyone....where are you all??? :confused:
I have been pretty busy these last few days..but keeping my carbs low! Still no caffeine unless it was by accident...no aspertame either. I have been really faithful with that..dont want to have to suffer the headache of giving it up all over again!! :D
I have been staying right around the same weight, up a pound or two here and there but that is normal with daily fluid and food intake..printed out a great article from the atkins site on Why the Scale Lies.....it encouraged me.
Found a great recipe for lo carb potatoe salad..you use cauliflower instead of potatoes. Gonna try it.
I have been really tired the last few days..slept 12 hours yesterday!!! That is usually a sign that my potassium is down,,,,I havent been taking any either,,and going to the bathroom a lot!!So I started taking it agian,,with the magnesium.
Well,,,,how is everyone doing???? :confused: :confused:

dreamdance Fri, Jun-27-03 09:51

Hi I'm 56 and am in my second week of induction. I travel and entertain - take people out a lot for my job and I am proud of myself because I really have done Atkins - no alcohol - no sugar- no wheat- and I feel SO much better. I hope the weight will start coming off soon. I feel hopeful and excited about the future. It's been very HOT here and I have been enjoying cold smoked salmon for breakfast and a cold boiled egg. I've given up coffee too! So my goodness. We're in the prime of life and have a lot to look forward too - new friends, new places, new skills. Let's make a list of new physical activities we've always wanted to do.

For me: horsebackriding, ballroom dancing, mountain hiking. I know it won't be long till I'm doing those things. How about you? What new physical activities are you looking forward to? No time like the present for learning something new.

Chloë Mae Fri, Jun-27-03 12:24

Welcome Dreamdance, love that name !

I have been doing Induction since April 7.

Down 20 lbs. but have been in a stall for too many weeks.

This is my first time doing Atkins and since I have soo much to lose, I thought it would be going a bit faster.

But, I am sticking with LC as it works for me and the cravings are under control.

Started swimming again several weeks ago, so maybe that will help move the lbs. We had such a cold Spring here in Va. Beach that the water took forever to warm up even with a solar blanket on the pool.

I love to dance, grew up in a dancing/piano/musical family. Would love to take ballroom/ballet and tap again. Still have my old tap shoes.

My daughter is a professional ballerina. She is home for a while this summer. She is teaching at various schools.

Any advice from you old timers, no pun intended, as to what I could do to get the lbs. moving again.

Thanks and have a :sunny: weekend.

Traveller Sat, Jun-28-03 18:31

Hello :wave: Just had a short trip to MI and next week on the 3 rd we are travelling again this time to Nova Scotia through New York,Vermont,New Hamshire and Maine. Anyone know any good Low Carb stores on the way lol ? What kind of restaurants should I look for? I don't want to gain that is for sure.
:Party: CONGRATULATION MUSICMAMA 9 LBS LOST GREAT :Party:
I am making a cauliflower gratin that even no low carbing friends love.
Micro one head of Cauliflower until very soft
mash it with a potatomasher or big fork
mix together 1 cup Mayo
2 tbs dijon mustard
1 cup shredded cheese, salt and pepper
put the cauliflower in a ovenproof dish
pour the mix over it
add some cheese on top and some chrushed porkrinds if you have
bake at 350 for 20 min. Fast and easy :)
GBU Love,Lynn

Traveller Mon, Jul-14-03 17:56

Hello where are you all??? I went on my trip and just got back last night and my post is the last one ??? Funny I ate a lot even had some pie and didnot gain more than a lb. Found some nice Advantage bars for 96 cent and am now pigging out on them. The trip was great I loved all the states we passed through. We ate all kinds of seafood especially lobster. Love to go back one day. Tired now so I'll check back tomorrow. Huigs to all