Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   It really does work (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=286950)

mdwilson43 Fri, Feb-24-06 11:38

It really does work

I haven't posted here in a long time, but I read the postings fairly consistently.

Recent posts about cinnamon, organic apple cider vinegar, vitamin D, GTF chromium, gymnema sylvestre, and calcium with magnesium supplements intrigued me.

I've been low carbing for about two years now, with a couple of pretty big slips, and exercising as well. My blood sugars still stayed high most of the time ~ 130 - 140 no matter what I did. I took my prescription meds faithfully,
Glucovance and Gemfibrizol but could not get the numbers down. And I was starting to have some neuropathy in my feet.

So I decided to give the supplements a try. After all, they are fairly cheap and safe too.

I started taking them about a month ago. After two weeks, my feet felt like well -- feet. The numbness and tingling was gone. Then I noticed I was sleeping through the night without a potty break. A true miracle for me.

Finally, after three weeks my blood sugars started to drop. This morning it was 90 and it read 90 again two hours after breakfast. The other thing that my hairdresser noticed was that my hair seems to be growing faster and coming in thicker. I thought I was imagining it.

No wonder big pharm doesn't want people to know about these natural supplements. They are safe and they really do work.

I'm going to keep taking them. I have an appointment with my M.D. in March. Should be interesting.

Dinahb Fri, Feb-24-06 11:48

I take vitamin D, and cinnamon. I didn't know about the others. I was taking chromium picolate, but it made me feel bad. Tell me about the other supplements.

dina1957 Fri, Feb-24-06 23:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwilson43
I haven't posted here in a long time, but I read the postings fairly consistently.

Recent posts about cinnamon, organic apple cider vinegar, vitamin D, GTF chromium, gymnema sylvestre, and calcium with magnesium supplements intrigued me.

I've been low carbing for about two years now, with a couple of pretty big slips, and exercising as well. My blood sugars still stayed high most of the time ~ 130 - 140 no matter what I did. I took my prescription meds faithfully,
Glucovance and Gemfibrizol but could not get the numbers down. And I was starting to have some neuropathy in my feet.

So I decided to give the supplements a try. After all, they are fairly cheap and safe too.

Do you take all of them and in what quantity. I take Gymnema 4g a day and Calcium/Magnesium. Could, you, please post what is your regimen. I have no problem during the day, especially if carbs are low I am in 70-90 range but morning reading does not burge, still higher than I want it.
Regards,
Dina

I started taking them about a month ago. After two weeks, my feet felt like well -- feet. The numbness and tingling was gone. Then I noticed I was sleeping through the night without a potty break. A true miracle for me.

Finally, after three weeks my blood sugars started to drop. This morning it was 90 and it read 90 again two hours after breakfast. The other thing that my hairdresser noticed was that my hair seems to be growing faster and coming in thicker. I thought I was imagining it.

No wonder big pharm doesn't want people to know about these natural supplements. They are safe and they really do work.

I'm going to keep taking them. I have an appointment with my M.D. in March. Should be interesting.[/QUOTE]

mdwilson43 Mon, Feb-27-06 13:00

Twice a day
1 GTF chromium, 200 mcg
4 Vitamin D, 400 IU Each pill
2 Calcium with magnesium, 600 mg calcium and 300 mg magnesium Each Pilll
2 Cinnamon, 500 mg
2 gymnema sylvestre, 400 mg

3 times per day

Organic Apple Cider Vinegar 2 tblspoon in a large glass of cold water.

I also drink at least one cup of coffee with a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.

This doesn't work overnight but with time you can really see a difference. Good luck!!

Zuleikaa Mon, Feb-27-06 13:45

I'm not going to say it....I'm not going to say it.

Oh, how I want to but I'm not going to say it, lol!!!!

It goes even faster if you make the vitamin D 2-4 1000 IUs twice a day.

Congratulations mdwilson43!!!

mdwilson43 Mon, Feb-27-06 14:16

Go ahead say it!!!

I've got my husband doing the Vitamin D thing. Since we live in the frozen north and won't see the sun till May!!

So how many units of Vitamin D per day exactly? Like 4000 -8000 units?? It's pretty cheap, so increasing supplemetation won't be a problem.

dina1957 Mon, Feb-27-06 14:24

Thanks mdwilson43
I will re-start GTF chromium , used to take it for some time and id not see any changes, and see if this helps. I do use apple cider in water and ocationally cinnemon but both give me terrible heartburn, so may be I should try supplements, like caps.

Zuleikaa,
Does eating herring and other fatty fish counts? I am currently taking 2 x 400mg of Vit.D and eat lots of fatty fish especially herring on a regular basis. I would imagine it's enough of Vit.D from food only.
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/FoodFacts.asp

I am concern of supplementing more vitA and D, it can be toxic to liver.

dina1957 Mon, Feb-27-06 14:26

Quote:
Go ahead say it!!!

I've got my husband doing the Vitamin D thing. Since we live in the frozen north and won't see the sun till May!!

So how many units of Vitamin D per day exactly? Like 4000 -8000 units?? It's pretty cheap, so increasing supplemetation won't be a problem.

This makes sense, but I try to get at least 30 minutes of sun exposure everyday and I live in California. Still large doses of VitD are advisable?

Zuleikaa Mon, Feb-27-06 15:43

Quote:
Go ahead say it!!!

4000-8000 IUs sounds about right. Especially if you have deficiency symptoms, ie., diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, digestive problems, bone/muscle weakness, PCOS, cancer, etc., etc., etc.

Increase until you feel like your summer self. If you have any habitual dry skin spots keep watch on them, when they start healing it's a sign you're at a good level for a while.

I wish I could convince my DSIL who has HBP and diabetes. My brother takes all the supplements I tell him to and his health has much improved and now his BP is perfect but my DSIL says she takes enough pills via medication. Well, duh, if she took the supplements she wouldn't need the medication!!!

Zuleikaa Mon, Feb-27-06 15:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
This makes sense, but I try to get at least 30 minutes of sun exposure everyday and I live in California. Still large doses of VitD are advisable?
San Francisco is 37 degrees north latitude. There isn't enough sun intensity at any time of day to generate vitamin D during Nov-Feb.

I would say 2000-4000 would be good for you until late April.

Zuleikaa Mon, Feb-27-06 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by dina1957
Thanks mdwilson43
I will re-start GTF chromium , used to take it for some time and id not see any changes, and see if this helps. I do use apple cider in water and ocationally cinnemon but both give me terrible heartburn, so may be I should try supplements, like caps.

Zuleikaa,
Does eating herring and other fatty fish counts? I am currently taking 2 x 400mg of Vit.D and eat lots of fatty fish especially herring on a regular basis. I would imagine it's enough of Vit.D from food only.
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/FoodFacts.asp

I am concern of supplementing more vitA and D, it can be toxic to liver.
Natural vitamin A and D are not toxic. It's man-made vitamin A and D that are toxic in relatively small doses.

You might be getting enough D via food and supplements you're taking now.

Then again, you have diabetes. If you have any of the other deficiency symptoms/diseases then you need more.

judyr Mon, Feb-27-06 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuleikaa
San Francisco is 37 degrees north latitude. There isn't enough sun intensity at any time of day to generate vitamin D during Nov-Feb.

I'm further south, just above Los Angeles. Would I cut that amount in half? I would say I am out in the sun about 30 min. a day.

Zuleikaa Tue, Feb-28-06 07:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyr
I'm further south, just above Los Angeles. Would I cut that amount in half? I would say I am out in the sun about 30 min. a day.
I'd say cut the amount in half. Or keep at the same level if you have vitamin D deficiency signs/diseases.

If you have habitually used sunscreen in the past you might now be vitamin D deficient. Use of sunscreen of even SPF 8 prevents 95% of vitamin D production.

dina1957 Tue, Feb-28-06 11:47

Quote:
Natural vitamin A and D are not toxic. It's man-made vitamin A and D that are toxic in relatively small doses.

It depends what you mean my natural. In my book natural means what our body obtains/digests/manufactures from food, while man-made means all supplements, both natural and syntetics. Even Vit.A, E, and D supplements come in both syntetic and natural version, I still consider all of them man-made and therefore, easy to overdose. Any Vit. supplements especially fat soluble, are easy to overdose. But while water soluble like C and B we can simply get rid of by drinking more water, fat soluble can accumulate in fatty tissues and start to build up. As I understand, natural vit.D comes from fatty fish, egg youlks and is made by exposing our body to UVA/B for at least 15 minutes a day and is manufactured from cholesterol.

dina1957 Tue, Feb-28-06 12:07

Quote:

Latitude is important but anywhere north from 37 is considered low in UVA/B. I am a sunworshiper and I spend as much time outside sunbathing when the weather permits, and since it's raining only N-M, the rest of the year I get plney of vit.D. I work in SSF (17 miles down to south) where is more sunny days during winter and I go for a lunch walk when it's not raining. Consider, that Vit.D can accumulates during prolonged sun exposure, a day on the beach can generated 100s of thousands of Vit.D units in someonme with a fair skin, so the body can access this reserve when needed. I do this as often as I can and use sunblock only on my face but never on my body.
http://www.healingtherapies.info/Sunlight&VitaminD.htm