Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Karen's Corner (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Some "fishy advice (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=327868)

cartersg1 Sun, Mar-18-07 16:06

Some "fishy advice

Hi, Karen! Here in Ohio, I only have access to Atlantic salmon or, horrors, farm-raised salmon! I dearly want my husband to try salmon - he just thinks it's too strong and I'm wondering what would be a good way to prepare it for a non-believer!!! I'm wondering if a tossed salad with a bit of grilled salmon might work?? Start him off with something small in case he doesn't like it? I make wicked good salmon cakes (canned Alaska salmon can be bought locally) but I'm not sure he'll eat them. I love them for breakfast with a light cream cheese sauce.

My MIL always made salmon cakes from canned salmon and they were "strong" and not terribly appealing but I did choke them down on vacations there. That's his only experience with salmon. I can see why he doesn't like it, if that's all he knows. :) MIL is a decent cook, just not with salmon! It's almost the only item she doesn't make well - other than the idea that food that is good (healthy) for you has to be...bland. FIL has GBS and MIL has diabetes - she still thinks seasonings, outisde of salt and pepper, is not a good idea. But it's edible food. I do a lot of cooking when we travel to see them.

In any case, short of shipping Pacific salmon, what would you recommend? Thanks!

Karen Fri, Mar-23-07 13:35

If you're trying to get DH to enjoy salmon, wait till salmon season starts so you can get really good, fresh, salmon. Frozen salmon - unless it's been frozen whole using proper methods and stored under the right conditions - takes on a flavour that is similar to castor oil and the flavour increases the longer it is frozen.

A simple sauce would be dill, sour cream, mayonnaise and lemon. Not too out there and tsaty.

Karen

Dodger Fri, Mar-23-07 15:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
If you're trying to get DH to enjoy salmon, wait till salmon season starts so you can get really good, fresh, salmon. Frozen salmon - unless it's been frozen whole using proper methods and stored under the right conditions - takes on a flavour that is similar to castor oil and the flavour increases the longer it is frozen.

A simple sauce would be dill, sour cream, mayonnaise and lemon. Not too out there and tsaty.

Karen
I froze a large piece of salmon once. After it thawed out, the texture was strange and I ended up giving it to the dogs. They were very happy, I wasn't. I don't freeze salmon anymore.

cartersg1 Sat, Mar-24-07 06:10

Hi, gang! I will give it a try. One of our local stores will order Pacific salmon in season amd it does ship frozen. They will thaw it and fillet it for me, which is nice, and I just haul it home. I like the sauce idea - something to balance the taste of the fish. And if he doesn't like it, I will have tilapia on stand-by. :) My DD and I love salmon and we will eat it. THANKS!! Cheers!

ruthla Sun, Dec-23-07 10:35

If you prepare salmon for yourself, could you maybe prepare salmon for yourself at a time that he eats something else (say, at breakfast when he's having eggs or cereal or whatever he normally eats for breakfast) and let him taste a bite or two of yours?

This way, if he likes it you can make it next time for both of you, and if he doesn't it won't go to waste and he won't go hungry. Alternatively, make enough for 2 and plan on eating the leftovers yourself at another meal if he doesn't like it.

EQUINAUT Mon, Aug-01-11 11:41

salmon for sushi

I know this is an old thread but as I am a new member, and a sushi chef by profession, I would love to clear up some misconceptions about farmed salmon.
Like all things...there is good and bad. It is always good to trust your fish purveyor and the quality of what he sells. FARMED SALMON is the best choice for sushi chefs without professional experience. Most good fish farms today will guaranty their fish to be parasite and bacteria free). It is the only Salmon I serve in my restaurant, and everyone raves about it.
Salmon, especially wild salmon, can have parasites and worms from fresh water. If the farm salmon comes from a clean farmed source, it is wayyyy less likely to contain these parasites. Also, farmed salmon is more likely to be fattier, which means a richer and milder taste...Less fishy. There is a ton of misinformation out there. If you look for bargain fish...it is what you will get...One should never look to eat cheap sushi or sashimi... of any kind.
If your fish purveyor cannot guarantee that your salmon is bacteria and parasite free, then you should lightly cure the fish for a day under refrigeration (many explanations on line for this process) then rinse, dry thoroughly and wrap tightly in freezer plastic and deep freeze for at least a week in small hand size portions.
Remember...Once your fish is out of water...you never want it go back in again... rinse briefly, dry completely, wrap tightly.

Seejay Mon, Aug-01-11 13:56

Emeril's salmon-stuffed baby red potatoes. If you are on such a low carb plan that even scooped out potatoes are a problem, just scoop them really thin. http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=7009730

Or, salmon hash with turnip and rutabaga.