Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Swiss enchiladas. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=377763)

Samantha22 Tue, Jul-15-08 06:27

Swiss enchiladas.

Well..heres my version of swiss enchiladas from my old cooking light magazine...i can post the original if anyone else wants it....

Preheat oven to 350f.

2 large chicken breasts cooked and cubed
(1) 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes undrained
(2) 4.5 oz cans diced green chiles undrained
1 1/2 cups chopped or diced onion
2 tsp garlic minced
dash chili powder, salt, pepper
1 cup 1/2 and 1/2
1 cup heavy cream
4 tsp brown rice farina (or other thickener desired)
6 lowcarb 8 inch tortillas
1 cup each monteray jack and swiss cheese shredded and combined

Sautee onion for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, tomato, peppers and chicken. Simmer 7 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Sprinkle with chili powder and salt/pepper to taste. Set aside.

In saucepan over medium high heat bring creams to a rolling boil stirring constantly and add farina. Stir over heat until thickens. (this takes a little while....i also used the electric beater once to whip it up some)

Add about a half cup of chicken mixture and 2Tb of cheese mixture to each tortilla and roll up. Place open side down into a greased 13x9 pan. Top with cream mixture and remaining cheese. ( i had to grate more cheese because i wanted more than just a thin layer over the top....be as generous as you want with the cheese).

Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. For a crispy cheese on top broil for the last 5 minutes. (my broiler does not work so i just increased the temp to 500 for the last 5 minutes.)

See pics below.
(The original calls for 2 cups of swiss but i was worried about the taste....i think next time i'd do it all swiss and put the mont. jack on top. I would also drain the tomatoes and add some spicy salsa. Maybe even sub a can of jalapenos for the chilis. This recipe was a huge hit and my bf LOVED it! Its so creamy and cheesy and mild yet spicy.....YUM!)

Yummmmmy! The finished product:

Didy Tue, Jul-15-08 08:28

What time is dinner??!!! Get ready cuz I'm coming!!!! :yum:

want2Bskny Tue, Jul-15-08 10:02

Those look amazing!! Yum :)

doloresrod Tue, Jul-15-08 10:11

Samantha,

Those enchilada look yummy!! I'm going to have to try the recipe.

Thanks for sharing.
D

Samantha22 Tue, Jul-15-08 10:50

YW :)
they turned out great....bf and i were both silent through dinner..lol...surprisingly filling too. we're both cheese fans and would eat cheese buffet if we could every night..lol....so this was satisfying and LC

Shorty987 Tue, Jul-15-08 10:57

Will be trying these tonight, what a great idea...I was making chicken tonight anyway..

I have all the ingredients to make them so YAY!!!

I will add salsa verde on top as well after they are cooked....

Shorty987 Wed, Jul-16-08 10:36

Made these last night...Though I changed them up a bit...I didn't have heavy cream so I used a 0 carb taco sauce and also added salsa verde to the bottle of the dish before rolling up my lc tortilla's and placing them in there.

YUM!

revcharlie Wed, Jul-16-08 12:19

Think I might try these using Cleo's tortilla recipe since I am allergic to wheat.

Samantha22 Thu, Jul-17-08 07:15

Shorty that sounds like a good idea!

And charlie.....i think any kind of tortilla would work!