Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   TOF's (The Over Fifty's) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Retirement; or, how I found LC (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=134324)

mariejoe Mon, Sep-01-03 06:30

Retirement; or, how I found LC

I thought it might be interesting to share our stories about find LC WOE. Here's my story:

I worked for a large metropolitan library for 32-1/2 years. I retired this past Thanksgiving. The last few years I had been putting on some weight, compounded with nearing menopause and a boring, sedentery job, that I knew was nearing its end.

I had always planned to lose weight after I retired. You know, one of those resolutions thaat never really get off the ground.

In Feb 2003, my husband was surfing during a commercial and found Phil Donahue talking to Dr. Atkins. Well, we didn't switch off the channel. I listened with great interest to what he had to say.
It sounded like something I could handle. Previous diets were boring, and you starved. And, they didn't work.

I bought his book, DANDR, and began a new WOE. It is wonderful. So far, I've lost 22 lbs. (I'm now in a bit of a stall, oh well.) I feel much better, look LOTS better, and I sure don't look or feel 50! :dazzle:
In fact, I cut off and hemmed all my old jeans (that are now loose) ala Daisy Duke.

jesdorka Tue, Sep-02-03 13:03

i took early retirement in '95. i had had several surgeries on my leg, walked with a cane, didn't do any exercise and put on more and more weight. my doctor put me on the usual low fat, low calorie regime and told me to use my willpower :rolleyes: i did lose some weight but i was hungry all the time and thought about when i could eat next constantly. in oct '99 i saw the drs heller (CAD&CALP) on the oprah show. i didn't really fully believe what they were saying and then i saw the follow up show a few weeks later where some had had success on the plan, i decided to read the CALP book and in jan 2000 started the plan. now at 64 i've lost weight (still got a long way to go) thrown away the cane, exercise (pretty regularly) and my general health is much better and i feel better than i had for years. i changed from CALP after about a year when i found myself letting the RM get out of hand. now i follow Protein Power and it's LC forever. :thup:

tina-mich Tue, Sep-09-03 06:57

Hi Mariejoe, I'm from Michigan also where are you from? I retired from Ford Motor Co with 30years last year June 2002. I have been struggling losing. When I don't lose not even 1/2 lb. I get so discouraged that I blow it. Congra. on your weight loss you are doing so good.

mariejoe Wed, Sep-10-03 17:38

I also live in Macomb County, the southern end, near I94 and I696.

Thanks for the congrats. I know I could not have done it at work.
I am also fortunate to have been able to retire at 50, so I can still enjoy my "youth" he-he-he..
Tina, try not to get discouraged. There's a lot of support here for you.