Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Pie - French Silk Pie (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=72379)

Azure Sun, Nov-24-02 13:42

French Silk Pie

I was watching Martha Stewart Living yesterday, and saw a DELICIOUS recipe I just had to try. It's called a French Silk Pie. Granted, you can't make it quite the way she does. I omitted the crust all together. And I replaced the sugar with granulated splenda. I'm busy watching football right now, but I just wanted to post this before I forgot. So I'm including a link to the recipe on Martha's website. It tastes AWESOME.

French Silk Pie

4got Sun, Nov-24-02 13:48

Azure,

I watched that Martha Stewart show also and I made the dessert as well.. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO my gosh, isn't it wonderful? I used pecans finely chopped and splenda and butter for the crust.. Tastes like fudge......... it's wonderful!!! Great minds think alike!!! :hyper: Dianne

Azure Sun, Nov-24-02 14:05

You wouldn't think that butter, splenda, unsweatened chocolate and eggs would take so good, would you? :)

I SOOOO want to try that boned turkey that she and Todd made.

Azure Sun, Nov-24-02 16:20

Okay, I have time to post the details for this recipe. This is basically the filling instructions of the recipe on Martha's site with low carb substitutions. As Dianne did, you can make a low carb crust with your favorite nuts. It's also extra nummy topped with whip cream.

Ingredients
1.5 sticks (12 tbs) SALTED butter (0 carbs)
1 cup granular Splenda (24g carbs)
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled (11g ecc)
1.5 tsp pure vanilla extract (.8g carbs)
3 eggs (1.83g carbs)

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and splenda until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. With machine running, gradually add melted chocolate and the vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating at medium speed for five minutes after each addition. Pour filling into pie dish. Cover with plastic wrap, and transfer to the refrigerator to cool for at least 4 hours and up to overnight. Slice into 8 servings.

Total effective carb count: 37.63
per serving: 4.7

Azure Mon, Nov-25-02 14:10

Has anyone else tried this yet? I'm curious to find out what other people think. I was so pleased to see Martha do a recipe that was so easy to convert to low carb. Granted, it's not so low carb that you can eat half of it, or all the time. But I basically poured mine into a tupperware container. And then when I'm having a slight craving for something sweet or chocolatey, I go get a spoon of it, and it hits the spot.

4got Tue, Nov-26-02 07:39

Did you put the recipe in the recipe section? It's so tasty, and yes I did forget the whipped cream.. It really does hit the spot when you want something sweet or chocolately. It will be a hit at our Thanksgiving table and no one will know it's low carb. lol Dianne

Azure Tue, Nov-26-02 08:18

Quote:
Did you put the recipe in the recipe section?

:o I don't know how.

4got Tue, Nov-26-02 11:15

WEll, I t hought I knew how, but when I went there, and clicked on add a recipe, it took me entirely somwhere else. So I am no help. lol Maybe someone else can figure it out. Dianne :daze:

Azure Tue, Nov-26-02 15:02

Yeah, that's what I did. But it just sent me back here.

Catmom Tue, Nov-26-02 17:02

Do you think you could use DaVinci syrups to save some of those carbs from Splenda or would it mess up the texture and consistency?

Azure Tue, Nov-26-02 18:23

I'm not sure. I'll give it a try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Candiflip Tue, Nov-26-02 23:47

I made this and it Tastes really good! Thank you for posting! :thup:

Candice

ginkirk Wed, Nov-27-02 09:06

OK...I'm not a baker, so my question may sound dumb. How does it hold it's shape w/o the crust. And, how does one make a crust w/nuts?

thanks!

Azure Thu, Nov-28-02 21:17

It's basically whipped butter. When you chill it, it becomes rather firm. You can make a crust with nuts by simply grinding them to a flour-consistency and adding butter and splenda to sweeten it.

Catmom Thu, Nov-28-02 21:25

I made this today with an almond flour crust. The filling tasted a bit salty to me. Anyone else find this? BTW my husband loved it.