Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   CAD/CALP (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=100)
-   -   Artificial Sweeteners (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=432087)

DebbiAnn Thu, Aug-11-11 19:22

Artificial Sweeteners

I read somewhere (cant remember) that the Hellers modified their feelings about Artificial Sweeteners and soy prodocts. I do not use soy so I don't have to worry about it. But I am really having a tough time giving up artificial sweeteners. I didn't use a lot, just a little in my tea and 1 diet coke a day. The coke I had with my lunch, which is a CM. I haven't had any all week.
So far I am down 5 lbs.

Deb

Enomarb Thu, Aug-11-11 19:37

hi-
the Hellers are very anti AS. Just the way it is. I think they are right- but it is a YMMV issue. I don't think you are using a lot either- jsut think about it. I still drink diet cokes- like sometimes even a few a week. Most weeks is none or one, but they are still something I'll drink. I have cut out all the rest- but I hardly ever used it anyway.

SOunds like you are doing great-
E

DebbiAnn Thu, Aug-11-11 21:25

I have gotten to the point where I just have a diet coke with a rewards meal on Tues (cribbage night). My husband & I always go get a quick bite before. We have to be there at 6:00 PM. Also the article mentioned that they were discouraging people from using soy flour in the Low carb pancakes and muffins etc. I wish I could remember where I read this. I know the book is about 8 yrs old and new knowdledge is coming out all the time, it would be great to get an updated version of the book.

Thanks for the info

Deb

Enomarb Fri, Aug-12-11 06:58

hi Deb-
they have new books, but non (IMHO) as good as CALP or CAHHP. They do encourage us to avoid soy- hard to do if you are a vegetarian- but pretty easy for me. They also don't encourage the use of protein shakes or bars.
I agree- an updated CALP would be GREAT.

E

Hoppinn Fri, Aug-12-11 09:19

I love this program because I do not have to eat anything artificial!

senorpepin Sat, Nov-12-11 16:07

Question

What's the conclusion on artificial sweeteners for CAD/CALP? I have hit a two month stall since losing about 35 lbs. Could the 2 coke zero's that I consistently have at my RM be the catalyst to the stall? I'm keeping the weight off no problem but still want to lose another 20 lbs to reach my goal.

Enomarb Sat, Nov-12-11 20:56

hi-
the conclusion is to avoid when possible. WHy not try eliminating the 2 sodas and see what happens?
I have maybe one a week- but have known people on this site who have found that diet soda did affect their weight.

senorpepin Sat, Nov-19-11 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomarb
hi-
the conclusion is to avoid when possible. WHy not try eliminating the 2 sodas and see what happens?
I have maybe one a week- but have known people on this site who have found that diet soda did affect their weight.

I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Enomarb Sat, Nov-19-11 19:22

I'd love to hear what happens-
keep us in the loop-
E